My daughter won't talk to me because I don't approve of her boyfriend.

Asked Jun 4, 2012, 08:02 PM 13 Answers
    My 23 year old daughter won't talk to me anymore because she knows that I don't approve of her current boyfriend. I have done this because I knew him as a friend and co-worker before they were interested in each other. They were meeting secretly since they had I had a good idea I would not approve.

He is 8 years older than her, has been with numerous girls including hookers on a semi regular basis and is has a huge anger problem. He was also a heavy drinker but seems to have slowed down when he is with her but drinks the same way when with his friends.

Once I found out they were dating secretly he sort of tried to get my approval but I told him it was a little late for that and that I don't think they are a good match. That made him very angry and he seems to have successfully turned her against her whole family.

We are from a South Asian ethnic background and family approval of serious relationships between friends and family is generally considered a tradition. I feel he betrayed our friendship by his actions and with all the other negative things I know about him I think he just 'trapping' my daughter in a relationship but she does not see anything wrong with him.

What should I do? I don't want to lose my daughter but I also need to be frank with her about who she is seeing to warn her.

Please help !

Last edited by talaniman; Jun 4, 2012 at 10:11 PM.
    saddenpuppy's Avatar
    saddenpuppy Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

#11

Jul 23, 2012, 06:51 PM
    I'm sorry to hear about the strain of you and your daughter's relationship. I'm in a similar situation on the other end of the rope. I'm 22 turning 23. I recently told my parents about a guy I have been seeing behind their backs. Before you come to the conclusion that I'm siding her because of our age and situation, I'm not... I just want you to understand. When I told my parents about my relationship... it wasn't because I suddenly chose to, it was because I've thought long and hard when and how I was going to do it. I love this guy. I told my parents because I wanted to stop hiding how happy I am. I know their reasons because they are quick to judge, old-fashioned, and traditional minded Chinese parents. I know, your daughter knows, WE know... that you and my parents as well, are just looking out for us and want what is best for us. What you know about the guy is from a friend&co-worker perspective. What she knows him as, is love interest. My parents can't seem to accept the guy I'm with because of his race and the fact that he can't look or be Chinese (or background experience of one). We (your daughter and I) are not staying with these guys in spite of you and my parents. We are doing this because we are old enough, raised well by wonderful parents, and want to make decisions of our own. Yes, from your experience, he isn't a great guy nonetheless a good one. But people DO change, many times they change because they realize there's someone they're doing it for. You have to realize he could have changed everything because of the GOOD influences your daughter has on him. I'm not saying he's a good or bad guy because I personally don't know him, but neither do you because you never gave him the chance to prove anything to you. He tried by trying to get your approval and you shut him down without even acknowledging him as someone your daughter chose. At 23, she's not stupid to bring home a guy, allowing a guy to get mother's approval, if she didn't think he's a qualifiable boyfriend. Now that I mention all that is to be said about the guy because I've tried explaining to my parents who probably are in the same situation as you since they and I are not on speaking terms. I just wanted to give you bigger perspective than what you're thinking. Now, the guy has not "turned your daughter against you." She chose to do this, like me, because we want to have our own ground as ADULTS. Don't think that because we are doing this that it isn't hurting us. Because we are... at least I am, I can't fully speak for your daughter. I chose to currently not speak to my parents because they haven't tried to converse with me. What I mean by that is, every time we've tried to talk, it ALWAYS leads straight to my boyfriend, and how they DISAPPROVE DISAPPROVE DISAPPROVE. I've tried really hard to not argue, and I haven't. I'm sure your daughter isn't speaking to you because she feels there's no one to LISTEN and understand her view. What's the point of us trying to speak to our parents if we know exactly what's going to happen? We don't expect you all as parents to agree on everything you do... just like how you all don't always agree with the decisions we make (this for example). But we just want you guys to TRY and realize that it's our choice, and it's up to you guys who love us regardless or not. Stuff like this doesn't change overnight... We are happy, we want you guys to be happy for us even if it means not agreeing. Please don't take what I say as if I'm trying to defend her and bash on you as a parent. Because it hurts me to be in her position and it hurts me to see what you as a mother has to go through. I sit here, taking my time from studying, away from home (living at school), crying because all this isn't easy to absorb. There's not a night that has gone by where I don't cry myself to sleep worrying about my parents. There's even days where I wish that I didn't have to wake up... ever... because I WAS happy... and I can't fully be happy because I can't please those I love. True love isn't easy to come by, and we only have a set of parents. Of all things in life to choose, why is it that we MUST have the ultimatum to choose only ONE of those in sake of the other?
    rsfh2012's Avatar
    rsfh2012 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

#12

Nov 28, 2012, 01:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by saddenpuppy View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about the strain of you and your daughter's relationship. I'm in a similar situation on the other end of the rope. I'm 22 turning 23. I recently told my parents about a guy I have been seeing behind their backs. Before you come to the conclusion that I'm siding her because of our age and situation, I'm not...I just want you to understand. When I told my parents about my relationship...it wasn't because I suddenly chose to, it was because I've thought long and hard when and how I was going to do it. I love this guy. I told my parents because I wanted to stop hiding how happy I am. I know their reasons because they are quick to judge, old-fashioned, and traditional minded Chinese parents. I know, your daughter knows, WE know...that you and my parents as well, are just looking out for us and want what is best for us. What you know about the guy is from a friend&co-worker perspective. What she knows him as, is love interest. My parents can't seem to accept the guy I'm with because of his race and the fact that he can't look or be Chinese (or background experience of one). We (your daughter and I) are not staying with these guys in spite of you and my parents. We are doing this because we are old enough, raised well by wonderful parents, and want to make decisions of our own. Yes, from your experience, he isn't a great guy nonetheless a good one. But people DO change, many times they change because they realize there's someone they're doing it for. You have to realize he could have changed everything because of the GOOD influences your daughter has on him. I'm not saying he's a good or bad guy because I personally don't know him, but neither do you because you never gave him the chance to prove anything to you. He tried by trying to get your approval and you shut him down without even acknowledging him as someone your daughter chose. At 23, she's not stupid to bring home a guy, allowing a guy to get mother's approval, if she didn't think he's a qualifiable boyfriend. Now that I mention all that is to be said about the guy because I've tried explaining to my parents who probably are in the same situation as you since they and I are not on speaking terms. I just wanted to give you bigger perspective than what you're thinking. Now, the guy has not "turned your daughter against you." She chose to do this, like me, because we want to have our own ground as ADULTS. Don't think that because we are doing this that it isn't hurting us. Because we are...at least I am, I can't fully speak for your daughter. I chose to currently not speak to my parents because they haven't tried to conversate with me. What I mean by that is, every time we've tried to talk, it ALWAYS leads straight to my boyfriend, and how they DISAPPROVE DISAPPROVE DISAPPROVE. I've tried really hard to not argue, and I haven't. I'm sure your daughter isn't speaking to you because she feels there's no one to LISTEN and understand her view. What's the point of us trying to speak to our parents if we know exactly what's going to happen? We don't expect you all as parents to agree on everything you do...just like how you all don't always agree with the decisions we make (this for example). But we just want you guys to TRY and realize that it's our choice, and it's up to you guys who love us regardless or not. Stuff like this doesn't change overnight...We are happy, we want you guys to be happy for us even if it means not agreeing. Please don't take what I say as if I'm trying to defend her and bash on you as a parent. Because it hurts me to be in her position and it hurts me to see what you as a mother has to go through. I sit here, taking my time from studying, away from home (living at school), crying because all this isn't easy to absorb. There's not a night that has gone by where I don't cry myself to sleep worrying about my parents. There's even days where I wish that I didn't have to wake up....ever.... because I WAS happy...and I can't fully be happy because I can't please those I love. True love isn't easy to come by, and we only have a set of parents. Of all things in life to choose, why is it that we MUST have the ultimatum to choose only ONE of those in sake of the other?
    Sorry for the late reply but I did not login to this website for some time. I think I understand your situation and sympathize with it. You are right in thinking why do you have to make this choice but that is the way it is in life. I know you love the guy but also remember you have loved your parents a lot longer and it would be a shame to lose that relationship - but that is decision only you can make. As I told my daughter, 'you are an adult and can make your own decisions - but that does not mean I have to agree with them'. And in that case if there are consequences for our relationship - she has to live with it since SHE is the one making the decision. Just like she has a choice so do I.

In my daughters case I have since opened up a line of communication and we text each other at least a few times a week now. I make sure we NEVER talk about the guy and just about normal things that are going on in our lives. I know that she still feels the same about the guy but I get the feeling they have slowed down a bit - maybe she is sensing that this thing is not going to work out. You see my main concern with him has to do with his attitude and morals. He was a good friend of mine and knew I would be creeped out with his advances towards my daughter. But he did not care and went on pursuing her even when she initially resisted his interest in her. So he carelessly ended our friendship for his own personal satisfaction. Secondly he is a Pakistani muslim who claims to be not religious and has convinced my daughter as well that religion is bad. He is slowly converting her to his opinions and I find that very disturbing. I don't want her to have to convert to his beliefs but that is a possibility if she wants to stay with him. She has lost all her ambition and drive and just wants to be with him to be happy and has picked up a 'victim' mentality that is surely destructive in the long run. . But I think this happiness will be short-lived and do not want her to go through this pain once she realizes what the future holds for her. I have raised my kids to be liberal and outgoing but I had hoped they would practice caution. I am just keeping the lines open to her and hoping that good sense will prevail - otherwise I will lose my daughter!

Good luck with your situation and I hope things work out for you.
    saddenpuppy's Avatar
    saddenpuppy Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

#13

Feb 23, 2013, 01:03 AM
    You're right; sadly, it's life. We've all made hard decisions in life. You're daughter was raised well. She learned to make her own decision and knows the consequences. Since you're a mom, I know it feels like she's betrayed you a little. Especially since you gave her life and offered her what you thought was best for her. Deep down, this man took your baby girl away... changed her ways and made her a different little girl than the one you once had. You can't fully change someone's religious beliefs, I think it's more of a spiritual connection she would have to find. You shouldn't worry too much about it. I'm buddhist and my boyfriend is Roman Catholic, even if I marry through church with him, I wouldn't convert. If your daughter is faithful to her religion she wouldn't change it, maybe make a way for both religions to work.

Whether her situation turns out as you predict or not... I can see you still love her unconditionally even though not talking to her because of guy is quite conditional. At least you still have open arms for her to come back.

Things have been worse on my terms. My parents are rather closed-minded and stubborn about who I see. This guy has been nothing but a wonderful boyfriend for the past 5 years. But they refuse to acknowledge he's alive. They've never met him/seen him. But they swear they know how he is. I love my parents but their ultimatum is out of line. If they don't come around (which they've already threatened they won't), sadly... they'll lose their only child. Their choice to disown (and remove all ties) me if I ever move out/ marry him obviously gives me no choice does it? :/ I have to feel miserable for them to be happy. I don't think I can live my entire life that way. Even IF one day I don't marry this guy, if I broke up with him now because of the stress my parents are putting me through... I would resent my parents for not letting me learn/ not letting me understand pain&love. In the back of my mind, I will always look back on this point in time and feel as though maybe something could have happened (maybe a better path/life).
    rsfh2012's Avatar
    rsfh2012 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

#14

Sep 18, 2013, 12:09 PM
    I feel your pain and hope things work out for you one day. In my case the situation with my daughter keeps swinging between good and bad. She is still interested in this guy and he in her, so our relationship has been strained now for 3 years on...

Now she is thinking of quitting her job and moving in with him... I really don't know what to do anymore. I am tempted to give up and say 'do whatever you want' but will break off my ties because I cannot stand the guy and he will cause her trouble down the road. I cannot stand by and watch it. I knew him from before and he has many issues that will not allow me to accept him. The worst being that he used to regularly hire 'professional' women to satisfy his needs with some of his married friends. I am afraid he will likely do the same after he ties up with her after a while.

QUESTION: From your point of view, should I cut if off with her or stay in touch for when she needs me. In the meantime I cannot meet her while she is with him without it being unpleasant for both sides. Please advise.!

Desperately needing help...

My daughter won't talk to me. [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter is 24 years old, and I made the biggest mistake known to man. I let her have what she wanted. When she was 23, My husbands parents had to move out of their home and I had my daughter move in because it was time for her to be on her own. The idea was for her to be in the house so it...

My daughter won't talk to me [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, my daughter and son had a falling out the summer before last (first time) and she hasn't talked to me since. Every time (and it's seldom ever now)I try to talk to her, she tells me that she doesn't want to talk to me, yet she is talking to my son now; go figure. I know I spoiled. When she...

Boyfriend does weed... I do not approve [ 15 Answers ]

I've been with my boyfriend for almost nine months. I told him a while back that I don't want him to smoke weed, and he promised he wouldn't. He recently told me that he had been smoking every day during the summer. Now, we've broken up and gotten back together at least twice, and I don't know what...

What to do when your daughter won't talk to you [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is 22 and has been anorexic for 9 years. She was a cheerleader in high school for 2 years, but she was in hospitals for anorexia so she was not picked for her varsity year. Her younger sister was on the squad all 4 years at the same high school. She put us through years of therapy and I...

How to talk to my daughter [ 6 Answers ]

My daughter is only 11 yrs old and she's talking to guys online. These guys age vary from 16-25. What should I do?