Long story short, me and this girl I truly love were together twice before, the last time was the third time... we just broke up on the weekend. Its difficult to say who broke up with who, it was almost like a mutual break up but I was the one who initiated it. When we were apart before we never stopped thinking about each other and we knew eventually we'd get back together, and we did. I know it sounds odd to get with the same person 3 times but I guess its funny how human emotions work...

Anyway, she still says "I love you" to me... and tells me she'll always love me... She says it never goes away and there's people everywhere who love each other but aren't necessarily together. She also tells me that she just wants to be by herself right now... she has a lot of life stuff on her plate so I understand because I saw it first hand for a very long time... On top of that, she tells me she will still be comfortable with doing certain "things" with me, you can guess by the quotation marks what I mean by that. Basically telling me that she doesn't want to be in a relationship but she still wants to be friends because of our long history together and the feelings we share and the last time we broke up I pretty much did the NC thing flawlessly for a good 2 years but still thought about her at times...

I don't know how to take all this... I mean I tried to do the NC thing and failed miserably already, although I know its only been less than a week... I've told her I love you back, because even though I'm upset I do still mean it... I just don't know if this is acceptable... to say stuff like that when you are merely "friends", even if it is true... and also if its even possible for 2 people who were in a highly emotional relationship to still be intimate on occasions... or even truly be friends... we HAVE been friends in the past after breaking up, but this time I think it will be a lot more difficult...

Sorry my thoughts are all over the place, but what I'm asking basically is:

1. Is that truly realistic that 2 people love each other but aren't necessarily together... can "friends" with a past love each other without being in a relationship.

2. Is it proper to tell each other that after the relationship has ended?

3. Is it wise to do "things" with someone you had a real emotionally charged relationship with in the past... can that ever be a good thing?

4. I am a hypocrite in some ways because in another thread I said it never works being friends because of the fact you will fell akward not being able to do the same kind of things around the person... with all of my other ex's this is very true for me, but with this girl I just cant imagine cutting her out of my life completely pretty much like I did last time... CAN we be friends, really?

Thanks in advance