Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EddieL1name Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 07:35 AM
    What are the US tax implications of an L1 visa?
    My company is applying for an L1 visa for me (the first time my company has done this) so that I can come and go to the US intermetently for the next 2 years to work on a project.

I will continue to be resident outside the USA and all of my remuneration will be outside the USA.

Do I continue to pay tax in my home country or do I also have to register and pay US taxes?
    Rick2001 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 11:02 AM
    I hope this can be of some help to you. I am a Canadian that worked for Daimler Chryslers and my job was to bring new cars to to the plant in Canada. The research and development was done in Michigan so I worked there under a L1b visa. Since I was working and getting paid from a Canadian company even though it was the same company I did not have to pay any US taxes. I think you will find out that since you have no SIN that would apply to you to. Be careful of your length of stay in the US. For Canadians its 6 months and do not apply for a SIN unless you plant to move to the US permantly.
    Rick2001 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2007, 11:11 AM
    I am new so this might be my second reply. You never mentioned what country you wee in but with my past experience I will tell you I worked for Daimler Chryslers in Canada but also had to work in the US in Michigan Using a L1b visa. I also remained residing in Canada but went back and forth to Michigan. Since I was paid in Canadian funds and resided in Canada there was no taxes to be paid to the US. If you apply for a SIN in the US it may be different I would not unless you planned to become a resident there. I hope this answer helps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax implications of stock sale [ 1 Answers ]

My parents were joint owners of a large amount of 1 company's stock. My Father died this year. We all agree with my Mother that reducing risk by liquidating some of this amount and putting it in a safer, more diversified instrument(s). Is there an advantage in selling some of this in this year(of...

Subcontractor relationship tax implications [ 1 Answers ]

I've recently separated from my employer to engage in private IT consulting / computer support. I came across an acquaintance who is in the same business and was overflowing with work to do. I've started handling some of his clients while maintaining my own business license and still working from...

Tax implications of 1099 income [ 1 Answers ]

My son has had a paper route for the past 2 years and the income has always reported on his SSN as 1099 income. The newpaper company is changing policies and will no longer hire minors. If I put the route in my name and receive a 1099 for the income and the issue a 1099 to my son paying him the...

Renting tax implications? [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to determine the feasibility of renting the house I own, given the tax/mortgage implications. Any help here would be appreciated! -I live in the state of MA. I believe I would have to pay tax on my rental income, could someone provide more details on that? e.g. my current monthly...

View more questions Search