Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bosphil Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2007, 10:04 AM
    How do I evict a roommate if I am the landlord and live in the same
    I am a townhouse owner in Massachusetts and I rent two rooms in the house out to two roommates. I do not have a written lease with them but they agreed to pay the rent and split all utility bills.

One of the roommates started paying the rent and the utilities late (she now owes me over a year and a half in back utility bills). We were good friends before and she lost her job for a while. During the time she was out of a job, I let her delay rent and utility payments to help her out and she promised me to pay back immediately.

She got her job back, caught up with the rent payments but has not paid me the back any of the utility bills. She also now pays the rent very late every month and skips out of paying any utility bills. I have asked her several times to pay me the back utility bills and to pay the rent on time (so that I can make my mortgage payments) several times over
    The past several months. However, even though she now has good income and plenty of disposable income, she always makes excuses but has not followed through on her promise. This situation has now become a nightmare for my financial situation and for our friendship and I have decided to evict her.

Could someone shed some light on what I should do to evict a roommate that I actually live with in this kind of situation? Thank you very much in advance!

The important facts of the situation:
    I don't have lease with her. She pays the rent now - although she normally doesn't do it until the last day of the month and rent is due at the beginning of the month. She owes me over a year of past utility bills and the utility bills are under my name. I have all her rent and utility checks copied.
    And unfortunately, I live with her :(((

Thanks for your help!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 28, 2007, 10:20 AM
    A couple problems,

First you don't have anything in writing with her, ( not a big issue but it can be a problem about the utilities)

Here comes the issue, since you have not inforced a rule about utilities for over a year, it could be considered by the court that they were not really required to be paid. ( custom and past practice showed by you allowing her to stay for such a long time)

But if they are renting from you on a month to month basis, just give them a 30 day notice to move out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I legally evict a roommate... as soon as possible? [ 4 Answers ]

I let my sister in law move in to my house in which I currently have a 12 month lease. She is not on the lease and I need to get rid of her. She is always late or short with the rent and I believe she is doing drugs. I want her out but I want to do it legally so she has no recourse other than to...

VA - Why would my landlord evict without a reason? [ 12 Answers ]

My friend was given 30 days notice to vacate her apartment. She is always on time with her rent, and has lived there for about 2 years. They didn't give her a reason... and legally, they don't have to. The question is, why would they do this?

How to evict a roommate with no lease and I'm the owner? [ 2 Answers ]

I need help. I let two of my girlfriends move into my house--neither one signed a lease or anything. I couldn't take all the people and partying all the time and asked them to leave after only 1 1/2 months. One of them is staying elsewhere but her stuff is still here, the other still comes and...

Landlord/Roommate added roommate without discussion [ 8 Answers ]

My roommate is my landlord. Recently he decided to add roommate to the house. I was never asked,nor was it discussed in any way with me. Two days before the new guys moved in I got a phone call that said, we’re getting a new roommate. He moved into the room next to mine right on time. We, me...

How do I evict my roommate? [ 1 Answers ]

My roommate is not on my lease. We have been living together for about 5 months and he had paid rent once and never has paid the utilities. I have been letting it go because he lost his job and I gave him time to find a new one. However he has not even been looking. I have tried to be nice because...

View more questions Search