Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shira Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 06:27 PM
    Verbal agreement on the phone
    I got solicited by a magazine subscription company to buy magazines.. my understanding and what the actual deal was is not the same.. I thought I was to pay an amount for 3 months and that was it... the terms were actually for 30 months.. I made one payment before I realized my misunderstanding.. I have only received one of many magazines so far.. when I called to inquire about it they said that I committed to the 30 months($594)and that we had a verbal contract (that was recorded)and if I did not pay the payments, it would go onto my credit report... they said that if I wanted to cancel, I could pay $40... is this a binding contract.. there is no cancellation policy on paper or verbally.. what if I did not like the magazines or simply did not want them... HELP
    What are my rights?
    shira sledziewski
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2007, 06:25 AM
    Hello shira:

I think you agreed to buy some magazines. Sure, there's a misunderstanding. However, whether you LIKE the magazines ISN'T the issue. Whether you agreed to pay for them IS the issue. If you don't think you did, then stop paying. If THEY think you did, they'll try to collect. If you don't pay, they'll sue you, and then they can play the tape for the judge. IF the judge thinks you agreed to pay, then you'll be ordered to pay. If he thinks you didn't, they'll lose their suit.

Yes, until you get to court, your credit will be dinged, but if the judge rules in your favor, he can order them to REMOVE the negative remarks on your credit report.

Pretty simple, actually - or not.

excon

PS> Having been a successful sales rep in those kinds of places, I can tell you that if they're any good, the DO have you on tape agreeing to the sale.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 24, 2007, 07:10 AM
    And I would demand they send me a written copy of the verbal agreement, and a copy of the tape. ( you have a legal right to demand proof of debt)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 24, 2007, 07:16 AM
    Here's the thing. They cannot hold you to a subscription like this if you choose to cancel. All they can do is charge you for the magazines you did receive. So you make sure that you cancel the subscriptions IN WRITING. In the cancellation letter ask them for a bill for whatever issues you received. Inform them that any issues received 2 weeks after the date of your letter will be considered gifts.

You should not have to pay anything more than face value for the issues you received. They MIGHT be able to tack on a cancellation penalty. If they try that, ask for proof that you agreed to that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Verbal Agreement- Binding or No? [ 6 Answers ]

I am in Ohio. I have a verbal agreement with someone. The agreement was that he would purchase some software and equipment for me, and that I would pay him back with a percentage of the proceeds of the small business I was starting. He became angry with me and now wants me to give him back his...

Verbal agreement assistance [ 6 Answers ]

My situation: We are in Tennessee renting from a landlord who lives in California The original VERBAL agreement was "we would rent for three months at $800 a month and in that time he would fix up the problems in the house, then we would rent to own for $1200 a month" We moved in the house in...

Verbal agreement [ 2 Answers ]

4 years ago, my mother persuaded my sick disabled sister to move in with her, so that they could help take care of each other. My mother has now relocated to another state and is trying to evict my sister from the home in order to sell it. My sister never paid rent to my mom ( home is paid for),...

Loan Verbal Agreement [ 6 Answers ]

I got a loan for a so called friend/ex roommate for about $2,000 under my name because she didn't have the credit. It was a verbal agreement and nothing in writing. This loan comes/use to out of my account monthly and she would pay me cash on time and/or until she got money to pay it all of or her...

View more questions Search