Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tiffany_lwalter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2007, 07:48 AM
    Do I have to give my roomates a 30 day notice?
    Hi, I'm currently living in a bad situation, where I am constantly being bullied and harassed. I hae spoken with the landlords, whom live upstairs and explained my situation to them. I have told them that I am giving them notice that by the 1st of June, I will be out of the house. They are okay with this and support me fully.

I am on the lease as is my roommate and his girlfriend. I want to know if I have to give them a thirty day notice at all, seeing as they disrespect myself and my belongings, they have gone into my room numerous times, and say there is nothing I can do about it.

I am afraid that if I tell them, that the harassment will escalate and right now I can barely handle it as is.

I also want to know what my options are if I call the police. My roommates have tried locking me out of the house and tell me that I can't have anyone over, and are constantly trying to rule my life and boss me around. They are even calling my work up and harassing me there.

They disrespect my belongings and at this point I would prefer to just quietly stay in my room until I have to leave and then move out. I have already paid for this current month, and my last month. And in all honesty, why should I give them the respect, when they don't deserve it.

So do I have to give them thirty days? :confused:
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 10, 2007, 08:16 AM
    The big question is has your landlord said he will not charge you for lost rent in writing? The notice goes to the landlord not the room mate. They may not feel like picking up your share of the rent and they can hold you responsible until a new room mate can be found.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 10, 2007, 08:41 AM
    Your relationship is with the landlord. You are signed on the lease as a tenant and the landlord as a landlord. I assume the other two are signed the same way.

When does this lease expire? Are you on month to month? Did all three of you originally rent together or did you sign in as a roommate directly with the landlord?

All of that makes a difference. But I don't think you have to inform the roommates, that would seem to be the landlord's responsibility. If they are letting you out of the lease early, get it in writing.
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 10, 2007, 08:45 AM
    No don't tell them. And move out when they are not there.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 10, 2007, 09:05 AM
    Matt's advice will avoid a confrontation but you need your landlords release in writing as Scottgem indicated. If he releases you he may be passing on your share of the rent to the remaining people. If they don't agree to that increase they can come after you. Your agreement with them may have been verbal but it could be binding. Did you agree to pay 1/3 of the rent? You may be paying that amount until the lease ends. We've got some loose ends here. Back to you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 10, 2007, 09:39 AM
    A lot of this depends on the answers to my questions. Please answer all of them so we can advise further.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

30 day notice [ 1 Answers ]

I were given a 30 day notice, but I were not behind in my rent at the time. In the past I were given permission to pay my rent late. The landlord on site state that I could pay my rent late as long as I paid it before the end od the month. I explain to my landlord that the reason that I had to...

30 day notice [ 2 Answers ]

When,according to Wisconsin law,do tenants have to give their 30 day notice?

30 day notice [ 1 Answers ]

We had a lease that expired on June 30 of 2006. We then went to month to month agreement. So now we want to move and gave a 30 day notice on the 12th of jan. 07 and our landlord is saying we have to give the 30 days at the beginning of the month. Is she wrong or right. We live in Wisconsin. We told...

30-day notice [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I gave my roommate a 30-day notice on November 14th. When I gave him my verbal notice he said to me, "So you will be out mid-December?" and I replied yes. I figured I would only have to pay 1/2 the month of December, but now he's asking for the full month's rent. I did not sign any type of...

30 Day notice [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Fremont, Ca. I signed a six month lease. My lease is up and I'm moving. My landlord is requiring me to pay rent for an additional 30 days. In my lease agreement it states "Notice of termination/Death: Renter shall give owner 30 day notice of intent to vacate and shall be liable for...

View more questions Search