Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    transakt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2007, 10:43 PM
    Protecting long-standing existing property line
    -This is about property line protection in Seattle--

I own and have lived for 20 years in the first house built on my block (1901). The property next door was recently sold to a developer by a woman who had lived in her house for over 50 years. The developer has remodeled that house and subdivided the lot so that the house is in one 30 foot lot and the other 30 foot lot (next to my property) is vacant. He now intends to build a skinny house there.

The problem is, his surveyor determined the property boundary is ~15 inches inside my fence, a fence which has been standing there for over 50 years and was placed there originally after my neighbor had a surveyor stake the boundary. This fence is less than 4 ft. from the edge of my house and current property setbacks here for new construction are supposed to be 5 ft minimum. The developer now needs to gain another foot of lot width or his lot measures only 29 ft wide and a foot short of minimum requirements. Interestingly enough, the developer's survey (the one which shifts the property lines 15") places his other property line well under the eave of the standing (existing) house. Can a boundary line be shifted if the effect is that part of the roof now juts beyond the lot line?

But my real question is, is there some way I can establish and protect my long-standing property line permanently? And can it be done without hiring a lawyer?
    squackmaster Posts: 43, Reputation: 9

Mar 26, 2007, 01:43 AM
    You'll have to get your own survey done, at a cost of $900-$1500. It's not cheap, but this is the only way to prove where the real property line is. Good luck!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 26, 2007, 06:07 AM
    You need to do two things. First get your own survey. Second, show how long the fence has existed. Under the doctrine of adverse possession, (see Trespass, Adverse Possession & Easements) even if the survey shows your fence is on the wrong side, if its existed long enough then the land could be deemed to be yours.

I would seriously consider getting a real estate attorney to handle this for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Long standing Pre- issue [ 2 Answers ]

HI, I'm a 27 years old single male. My problem is.. whenever I watch or read some sexual content(even imagine only sometimes), instead of getting errection, mostly I get pre-(drops coming out of my pennis) and the errection vanishes. It feels so bad and irritating feeling as it could happen...

Property line dispute [ 7 Answers ]

:mad: My husband and I own 2 acres and across the private road from us lives a man who INSISTS he OWNS property along OUR side of the road beyond the normal easement area. We have found that the previous owner of our property had given a 10 foot easement along our side of the road for "access and...

Property line [ 1 Answers ]

Our garage wall defines property line. Neighbor has planted invasive vine on our garage wall which is only accessible through their property. Is there a Civil Code I can quote which would disallow this foliage. We live in So. California.

Using existing tub drain line in concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing a new whirlpool tub in place of an existing conventional tub. The old sink drain terminates into a concrete slab. The new sink drain will be at least 2 feet from the old. What are my options? Is there anyway of tieing in the new drain into the old drain without taking up all the...

View more questions Search