Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mistina1999 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2007, 07:47 PM
    Landlord Selling
    I just recently signed a lease for a townhome. Last week I was called by my landlord and told that he is going to sell the home. In our rental agreement (which is for 18 months) he added that rent can be raised with proper notice. My question is, since the new owner will inherit the rental agreement, how much of a notcie does he have to give us before he raises the rent and if we can't afford it can we move out? BTW I live in Colorado.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 19, 2007, 08:12 PM
    First I have to say not much of a lease if they are allowed to raise rates, normally a lease is suppose to lock your payment in for the term of the lease,

But if all they say is "proper" than they have to give a "proper" notice.
    That will have to either be agreed to or end up in court since the lease did not specify the terms.

If I had to guess and it allows them to raise rate 30 days would be "proper"
    cann Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2007, 09:29 AM
    It sounds like it was deceiving you in the first place by doing it that way. May had plans to sell the place but was not forthcoming with you and I consider that not acting in good faith and fair dealing. You could send him a letter asking him if he had plans or already contacted a realtor about this and if he was heing honest with you. Most leases do lock in price so I am surprised you clal this a lease. What was heis reason for this to be added in lease.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Selling games. [ 1 Answers ]

What is a good place, NOT online, to sell games for CASH, not store credit? Update: Came to the conclusion that you can get store credit only and PayPal credits online. But what's the best place to get decent store credit, not online, by selling used games and DVDs?

Landlord selling property in Pennsylvania [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am renting a townhouse in Harrisburg Pennsylvania with my lease ending August 2007. My landlord has decided to sell the property. I want to know: 1) If he sells the property, is the buyer still obligated to honor our lease (in other word can they throw us out before August)? 2)...

Landlord is selling house [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to how long I have before I have to move after my landlord sells the house I am living in?

3 lots, selling 2 of them [ 1 Answers ]

If I own 3 lots and I am selling 2 of them, will I have to pay capital gains taxes on the 2 lots I am selling?

View more questions Search