Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jglea27 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2007, 04:40 PM
    Getting out of a shared lease
    My girlfriend and I signed a one year lease in June of 2005 in California. During the year our house was sold, and the new owner apparently assumed our lease as the property manager stayed the same. We have never signed anything, let alone seen, spoken, or communicated in any way with the new owner. I now am planning to move out. My ex-girlfriend will most likely be staying at the house. How do I get my name off the lease, and what kind of notice do I have to give both the property manager and ex-girlfriend?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2007, 04:58 PM
    Hello jg:

Once your lease expired, you're on a month to month tenancy. Give your landlord 30 days notice. Inform him that one of you wishes to remain, and will sign a new lease.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 29, 2007, 06:03 PM
    You do not have to assume, a new owner is required to take on the old lease, as you are obligated to the terms of the old lease with the new owner. Since the lease expired in June of 2006, you would be on the month to month since the lease would not automatically renew.

So you need to give them notice that you are moving out with a 30 days notice.

This is said with some assumptions, your lease did not automatically renew, and they will view you and your girlfirend separate, not as one unit.

Start with talking to the management company.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shared neutral [ 21 Answers ]

I have a 50 year old home. I am doing some remodeling and found that I have 2 separate circuits sharing the same neutral. I hadn't seen this before and I am worried about it. Is this in itself a problem? Also, the neutral is hot where I am remodeling but not at the breaker box. Do I have a...

Shared video memory [ 1 Answers ]

My laptop says that I have a ATI Radeon Xpress 200M Graphics 64 MB shared video memory. What does this mean and do? And what is better and best? Thanks

Information about breach of lease agreement and about breaking a lease... [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have been residing in the state of Georgia for almost a year. I moved from New York, I had never rented in New York so this is all new to me. Here's the issue, Me and my husband signed a lease on July to this apartment complex, at the time we thought it would be a lovely place to raise a...

Lease Termination Question (NJ) - 3 Room-mates on Lease , 1 Is not sure of moving out [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We are three room-mates sharing a apartment and the lease expires Jan 31,2007. We got a notice to renew the lease last month and need to respond by the 21st of December (this month). Me and one of my other roomie wants to move out and the third roomie is still not sure of moving out. ...

Shared Driveway [ 3 Answers ]

We live in Maryland on a shared roadway/driveway--our house is at the very front of the property. There are 6 other residents on the road. We are having a disagreement regarding how the cost of repairing the road should be shared. Because we only have acess to 50% of the road, we think that we...

View more questions Search