Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tjc75080 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2011, 09:32 AM
    Is this a valid lease if not signed by BOTH parties named on the lease?
    1. Two persons are named on the lease contract.
    2. One of the signatures is that of one of the persons named.
    3. The second signature bears the name of the second person named, but is not his signature.
    4. It is doubtful that person #2 ever produced any documentation proving his identity or age.
    5. Applicant #2 provided information on his application and paid $50 Application Processing Fee as did Applicant #1
    6. Applicant #2 indicated that he was a full time student.
    7. Apparently, none of the information that Applicant #2 provided was verified and it turned out some of it was false.
    8. Had the Application been verified - and Applicant #2 disqualified - there never would have been a lease signed.
    9. Identification: If a person other than the person named on the lease, signed the lease - should'nt that be noted? If it is not, is it still a binding contract?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 26, 2011, 09:48 AM

If two names appear as lessee and only one signed the lease it is not binding.
    tjc75080 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2011, 01:51 PM
    Is there any "performance" expected or implied in submitting a rental application?
    Specifically, two persons, each submit an application to rent an apartment. One being a 20-year old student and the other being his 82 year old grandfather. Both pay the $50 Application Processing Fee. According to the Apartment Complex criteria - each must qualify (except for income for students).
    The Applications were approved and a lease was written and signed. Three days after he moved into the apartment it became obvious that he was not attending the local junior college as he had said he was.
    At issue is the fact that the Apartment Complex didn't so much as attempt to verify anything on the students application and if this information was made available before a lease was signed, there never would have been a lease signed.The grandfather was only helping this kid get an apartment so that he could continue his studies.
    When it was discovered that the kid was not attending school, the grandfather pulled the plug - costing him $3300.00 to get out of the lease. Add it all up and rent on a 2 bedroom 2 bath apartment for two months (because you must give 60 days notice of move out, plus re-letting fees), just cost us $4500.00...
    Is there not some responsibility on the part of the apartment complex to examine the application and qualify the student based on their own criteria? If they don't follow the rules that they publish - why publish them?
    Add to this the fact that the lease was signed just days after the grandfather lost his wife of 54 years, even before the funeral. The lease was cancelled just two days following her funeral. While nobody was making him do anything he didn't want to do - clearly he was under duress. Not an excuse, just a fact.
    Can any one suggest where we go from here?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2011, 02:27 PM

The Grandfather lied to the apartment complex in order to help the Grandson out; the lie was discovered; the lie cost the Grandfather money.

No, the Grandfather has no case against the apartment complex. The apartment complex has a case against the Grandfather.

If the Grandfather is going to claim stress caused him to lie, then he would sue the Grandson who (presumably) caused the stress. The apartment complex did not put any stress on the Grandfather.

So the answer is - the Grandfather can sue the Grandson if the Grandson pressured him into lying.

EDIT: I notice your other thread contains different "facts." Why don't you come back and tell us which thread is true and then "we" can provide a better answer? https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/real-e...ml#post2752888
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2011, 02:29 PM

I am not going to answer this because it does not accurately state the facts. I've answered here where the other facts are posted. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/real-e...on-565497.html.

Why don't you come back and tell us which story is true?

Shame on you for wasting Ballenger's time.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 26, 2011, 02:46 PM

I've merged both your threads. It appears that you decided to come back and provide a clearer description of the situation. This should have been added to the original thread, not starting a new one.

I agree with Judy. The grandfather was apparently the primary leasee and the complex accepted him as such. If he wanted to help his grandson, he should have just signed as a co-signer or guarantor. He's lucky he got out of the lease with as little cost as he did.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is a rental lease legally binding if it was not signed by all parties? [ 6 Answers ]

Is a rental lease legally binding if it was not signed by all parties?

Is the last rental agrement valid if a new lease is never signed after the year is up [ 5 Answers ]

No lease has been resigned by tenant and the water bill is included in the original lease agreement is the original agreement still valid if a month to month is never signed after the original agreement is up?

Two owners of apartment only one of the owners signed the lease is the lease valid [ 1 Answers ]

My ex and myself both own this home that is a duplex, my children and I live in the down stairs apt and a family lives up stairs. I had recently separated and he no longer lives here. I signed the lease with the tenants and he did not now the tenants are saying that the lease is not valid due to my...

Is a lease in two names signed by one valid? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My husband was forced by the landlord to sign a renewal lease while I was abroad and I didn't. We gave a sufficient 30-day notice to move out and chose not to renew the lease as soon as I came back. The lease is in both my husband's and my name. Would it be considered a valid lease in the...

Student Housing lease signed, no lease or security deposit. Can I cancel lease? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a student housing house. I require a $200 non-refundable lease deposit within 15 days of signing the lease (in this case it was due March 15). A $300 secutity deposit due June 1, and the rent less the lease deposit due August 28. I have a student that signed the lease, but never sent...

View more questions Search