Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laurad79 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2007, 06:39 AM
    Breaking up who gets what
    My boyfriend and I are splitting up after 9 years we have a two year old son he bought a house for us right after he was born. We agreed I will take custody of connor but do I have any legal right to take the house from him because it's only in his name. I just feel that since he's the one who wants to leave why shouldn't I get the house.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2007, 08:27 AM
    Hello laura:

If you were married, you probably WOULD get the house. Marriage IS the legal protection you needed. I'm not lecturing you. I couldn't care less. It's just that there isn't a whole lot of legal protection for people who co-mingle their lives, and then want out.

Consequently, if his name is the only one on the deed, it's HIS house. Frankly, it doesn't matter how you feel about it. What WILL matter, are receipts showing that YOU put money into the house too. Plus, if you're lucky, your state (you didn't say which one) might recognize common law marriage.

In any case, you need a family attorney.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 21, 2007, 08:44 AM
    You REALLY NEED an attorney in this case. There are a number of issues that could get you protection. Whether your state recognizes common law marriages, what the local courts position on "palimony" is. The laws vary from state to state and a nine year relationship, especially one that produced a child, may have some legal protection. As soon as possible after you read this, open your Yellow Pages and look for a Divorce/Family attorney.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2007, 10:25 PM
    In some states there is a term called "Commonlaw Marriage" you might have some rights to the house under that law if it applies in your state.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking a lease [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I lived in Louisiana and had a 1 year lease and he was transferred to Mississippi and I also found a job there. We have only paid 4 months of rent. The lease does not allow sub-letting. The landlord has done nothing to try to rent the place. We have been out about two weeks and we...

Breaking Up... [ 10 Answers ]

What's the best way to get over a break-up? And if you're really in love with that person, do you think it's worth it to give in patience and wait, and hope for that person to come back to you one day?

After breaking up [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, everybody.. Thank you for reading this. I am 24 years old and I broke up with my ex-boyfriend a month ago. He began to say he was really busy and could not think of any... Afterthat, he told he needed "space" to concentrate on his work. I made dicision to break up with him to respect...

Breaking up [ 6 Answers ]

I have just broken up with my girlfriend. We had only been dating for two months but I already had started to develop some feelings for her. She said there was no spark in the relationship. OK, I appreciate her honesty and I will give her the space she wants. However, my last relationship broke...

View more questions Search