Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JolieHicks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2010, 04:03 AM
    Return of pet deposit
    We paid a pet deposit when we rented a house in California. Nowhere in the lease does it state that it is a non-refundable pet deposit. I was wondering if there were any laws about it needing to state that it is a non refundable or if it doesn't then the pet deposit would have to be returned.

We had our security deposit returned in full but now our landlord is claiming that the pet deposit was non-refundable -- which had that been in the lease or told to us, we would not have rented that house.

What is California's position on this? I have looked on several web sites but nothing said that it is non-refundable -- just that it may be. And since it isn't on the lease as non-refundable, is it?

Many thanks in advance,

Jolie'
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2010, 07:48 AM

Hello J:

A deposit is money you give the landlord in anticipation of damage.. If there's NO damage, the deposit is returned... Fortunately, California agrees with me.

File a case in small claims court for the deposit. It's quick, cheap and easy. California makes the landlord pay TRIPLE if they fail to return a security deposit. This is the same thing... Hopefully, you can convince the judge of that.

excon
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 12, 2010, 08:37 AM

I agree, many states actually now have laws stating deposits can not be non-refundable automatically.
    JolieHicks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2010, 02:08 PM
    Comment on excon's post
    Can you tell me where I would find that information because we are now in New Jersey. So I will need to be able to direct our former landlady to this site.

Thank you so much!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2010, 02:23 PM

Hello again, j:

Try Rentlaw.com. It gives the information...

But, your landlady knows that you have to come back to California in order to sue her... So, it probably won't matter what kind of documentation you show her, she's got you over a barrel.

What? Is she pleading ignorance?? Yeah, right.

excon
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 13, 2010, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    ... But, your landlady knows that you have to come back to California in order to sue her...
    Maybe but not necessarily.

I would look into doing it remotely. It might be possible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pet rent and pet deposit for medical companion [ 4 Answers ]

If you have a companion dog for medical reasons and live in a pet friendly apartment complex, by law are they allowed to charge monthly pet rent and a pet security deposit?

Return of Pet Deposit and Harassment [ 2 Answers ]

I live in California. I have been dealing with harassment with my landlord since I moved in. When I moved in, I asked if I could get a cat for my son for Christmas. They agreed, said I had to pay the pet deposit of $300. I paid the deposit in December when I got the cat. About two weeks after I...

Pet Deposit or Pet Fee in Rental Agreement [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a maximum amount to charge for a pet when renting an apartment in the state of Georgia? Should the pet fee be refundable or non-refundable?

Texas Laws conerning return of Pet Deposit [ 3 Answers ]

Does the use of the term "security deposit" also apply to pet deposits? I have looked through the Texas Tenant references but cannot find anywhere that specifies that the two terms are interchangeable. I I paid a pet deposit, 1/2 of which was non-refundable. It has been almost a year and I have...

Pet Deposit [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently moved out from an apartment in Washington state. I had $100 refundable security deposit and $150 refundable pet deposit. I got a notice from my landlord saying that "Damage charges extra clean/paint/carpet" cost me 250$. I lived on the premised for 2 years. I know the carpet...

View more questions Search