Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anass Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2010, 07:29 PM
    How to evict the previous owner after purchasing
    I bought a home in houston, Title gave me legal deed and possession and key based on contract.
    Old owner who sold home and got paid asked me 7 days to move out, I gave him 7 days oraly, but after 15 days passed he is still there and he is asking another 30 days. I need my home to live as soon as possible, what can I do? Please advise.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 29, 2010, 07:53 PM

So you have a key, right? Start moving in and call the police if he blocks your way or remains. He is not a tenant so eviction is not the way to go, he is trespassing. I say this assuming you bought the property from him and there was a closing on the deed, amI right or did you buy it from a foreclosure via bank?

Sep 29, 2010, 08:02 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    It was not kind of foreclosure.
    He sold the home to dealer and the same time dealer sold home to me; so I have 2 deeds from previous owner to dealer, and dealer to me; dealer gave a home key to Title and Title gave key to me;

Sep 29, 2010, 08:09 PM
    Comment on ballengerb1's post
    I have HUD and Insurance Title and Deed.
    And previous owner has HUD and money (Title gave him) and he is still living; should I legaly give him eviction notice? Or just walk out to police office!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 30, 2010, 04:54 PM

I'd start by trying to get the police to come by because he is trespassing. Technically he is a resident, illegal as it may be, still a tenant. Start eviction process by googling your states name and the word EVICTION PROCESS just to see how you can start the process. I'd also be screaming in the ear of thedealer and HUD.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 30, 2010, 06:31 PM

Please do not use the comments feature for follow-up. Use the Answer options.

I'm more inclined to agree this is not a resident. Tell him you will be moving your stuff in on x date and he needs to be out by then or you will take appropriate legal actions.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 30, 2010, 06:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I'm more inclined to agree this is not a resident.. .
    He's not a tenant under a residential lease, and thus probably not covered by the state landlord-tenant statute.

But it does appear to be a "forceable detainer", as in "forceable entry and detainer", the old term still used in many states' statutes concerning eviction proceedings. These statutes are frequently found in the portion of state code dealing with civil court procedure, as opposed to real property, where LL-T acts are commonly found.

---

But not true in Texas. FED statute is Title 4, Chapter 24 of the Texas Property Code. http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/

Sec. 24.002. FORCIBLE DETAINER. (a) A person who refuses to surrender possession of real property on demand commits a forcible detainer if the person:
    (2) is a tenant at will or by sufferance,.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal advice on real estate on how to evict a previous owner of a short sale [ 1 Answers ]

I'm buying a short sale condo. The previous owner has to leans on the place. We finally agreed to the sale but the 2nd wanted a two week escrow. We got them to give an extenstion for the escrow until the end of the month. They sent a letter to the owner stating the 15th of the month. Now the owner...

Used Car purchasing questions from owner [ 2 Answers ]

I want to purchase used car. Can you please help me that what are the questions that should be ask to car owner before selection? What are initial checks for select used car?

How to evict previous owner from short-sale house purchase! [ 4 Answers ]

I am purchasing a home in Sacramento through a short-sale. The bank has sold us the house but the previous owners have stated that they cannot get out by the closing date. What are my options? Thank you!:(

Finding abandoned home's owner to get purchasing authorization [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I are attempting to purchase a home that has not yet been foreclosed on. The owner has moved out and has failed to make payments for almost a year. We have gotten clearance from the mortgage company's lawyer to find the owner for purchasing authorization and we would be able to make...

View more questions Search