Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lynn66 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2010, 11:11 AM
    Squatting or not Squatting/
    A family member has a residence in Florida, she resides in Minnesota. She has a lady and her children living there, that should be paying rent. In the past year plus has only paid rent 2 times. It has all been done by a verbal agreement. That same family member is not in the best health and nor the best financial situation. Her immediate family is worried that taxes may not have been paid, she refuses to answer any financial questions they ask. My question is, does the lady living there have squatters rights to property, if she paid back taxes. Is there a time frame on squatters rights in Florida.

Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 5, 2010, 01:25 PM

No, they are merely a non paying renter. The biggest worry is not paying real estate taxes, where after a couple years the property will be sold for taxes.

The person living there, if they pay the taxes each year are just paying the taxes, gives them no right to home what so ever.

Now if they let it go unpaid, and the state sells the house for taxes, who ever bids the highest at the tax sell will own the house

Go to the county web site where the house is, many will have property taxes and the such online. You can see what years have been paid, what is due and so on.

Sep 6, 2010, 04:17 AM
    Thank you for that information, will have them check out county website. I did forget that information is public.

Thanks again.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 6, 2010, 04:45 AM

Squatters rights are pretty much a myth nowadays.

You didn't ask this question, but I think your family needs to do an intervention at this point. I think someone needs to get Power of Attorney over your family member's affairs so they can be monitored and taken care of. If the family member refuses to sign a POA, it may be necessary to go to court for a competency hearing.

Once this is done, the tenant (and the family occupying the FL property is a tenant) needs to be told to start paying rent or face eviction.

Sep 6, 2010, 05:17 AM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    That was my question to them also, they have just started checking into going in that direction. Great advice, Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Florida Squatting Law [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently living with a roommate but my name is not on the lease with the landlord. My roommate is behind on the rent and I have been paying him in cash my portion of the rent. But the rent is actually always late even though I have been paying my portion on time, because he is so behind on...

Florida's squatting and eviction laws [ 2 Answers ]

My question is what are my legal rights in the state of Florida for squatters... my husband has a friend living in our fully furnished apartment for about 3 months rent free also utility free and has ask him to move out . He now refuses to leave and feels he has the right to stay without having to...

View more questions Search