Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sjohnson Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2006, 06:16 PM
    Roommate eviction/Lease breaking
    I rented a house with a 12 month lease. I am the only signer on the lease. A couple of months down the road, I got a roommate. He has been here for six months, but is not on the lease. I won’t bore you with the details of our problems. I made a mistake taking him in and now it is time for him to go.

So I would have to give him a 30 day notice to leave and then file for eviction and the landlord would have nothing to do with this? The problem I have with this is the length of time evictions take (at least from what I have read) and the money I would lose in the meantime.

I have also read that if I break the lease and leave, that I am still responsible for the rent until a replacement can be found. If I leave, and my roommate stays in the house, could I have the roommate be my replacement?

This is in Oklahoma.

Thanks for any help

Sam
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2006, 06:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson
    could I have the roommate be my replacement?
    Hello sam:

Sure, if the landlord agrees.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 19, 2006, 08:15 AM
    You have, essentially, sublet part of the apartment. Therefore, a tacit month to month lease exists. That means you need to follow the rules to get the roommate out.

However, if the landlord is agreeable to switch the lease into the roomies name, that lets you out.

Dec 19, 2006, 08:30 AM
    I see. Thanks for the help.

If I went the eviction route, I have to give a 30 day notice in writing and then start eviction proceedings? Or if they do not pay the rent, I can give a 5 day written notice? And this would be something that I would do, not the landlord right?

Also, we spilt the bills. If he doesn't pay rent this month (which he is threatening to do), I would be able to sue for this month's rent in the eviction. Can I include his half of the bills too?

Thanks for all the help
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2006, 09:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sjohnson

So I would have to give him a 30 day notice to leave and then file for eviction and the landlord would have nothing to do with this? The problem I have with this is the length of time evictions take (at least from what I have read) and the money I would lose in the meantime.
    Hello again, Sam.

If you're going to evict him, then you don't need to give him a 30 day notice. Most states start with a 5 or a 3 day notice to correct the breach (fill in the blank).

Sure, he's not going to pay, and you're going to lose a bunch. Even if you win in court, you'll have to collect. Often times, that's not possible for an individual to do.

And, yes, you're on your own. YOU are the only landlord involved in this matter.

If you have a choice, I'd choose the letting him take over the lease, option.

excon

Dec 19, 2006, 09:38 AM
    As excon said, your landlord doesn't enter into this because you are his landlord. I believe you would have to give 30 days to terminate the lease, the 3-5 days would be applicable if he were breaking the terms of the lease (like not paying).

Dec 19, 2006, 10:05 AM
    I see. I think I will just wait until the first of the month to see if he pays and then decide which route to take.

One more question: There are several things that he does that are against the lease that I signed, but since he didn't sign it, is he prohibited from do those things?

Thanks for help excon and ScottGem. It has been informative.
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2006, 10:21 AM
    Hello again, Sam:

Well, that's kind of what I was referring to when I said fill in the blank. All of these questions ultimately, can only be resolved in court. What a judge would, or wouldn't decide isn't the point right now. The point, is getting him - or yourself - out.

IS he obliged to adhere to the things he said he would? Of course! Can you enforce it? Let's hope you don't have to, and the question becomes academic.

Therefore, when/if you evict him, what you fill in the blank with, is all those things he does that breech the lease.

excon

Dec 19, 2006, 10:47 AM
    Since he doesn't have a written lease and NEVER had one, then he is not subject to the same terms as the lease you signed. He is subject only to what is provided by local law as general lease terms.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking lease in Texas-Did not sign lease [ 2 Answers ]

I have shared a house for 15 months with two other roomates. There is a 2 year lease on the house. My name is on the lease with the other two roomates, BUT I did NOT sign the lease. I want to move out because I can no longer stand living with these two roomates. Am I free and clear to leave...

Information about breach of lease agreement and about breaking a lease... [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have been residing in the state of Georgia for almost a year. I moved from New York, I had never rented in New York so this is all new to me. Here's the issue, Me and my husband signed a lease on July to this apartment complex, at the time we thought it would be a lovely place to raise a...

Breaking the lease [ 2 Answers ]

Can I break the lease due to having to move to another state to take care of a sick family member, cancer, and because I can no longer afford the rent? What are the consequences? Can they sue us? I live in North Carolina and moved here recently so I have no family its just me and my husband, also...

Landlord/Roommate - Breaking Lease in SC [ 11 Answers ]

I rented a room in a house on 10/15/06 from an internet roommate service. Since I have moved in (less than 10 days ago) I have received no less than 6 notes from my roommate/landlord, as well as calls on my cell phone and emails concerning 'things she wants to mention that she's noticed'. ...

Breaking a lease [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I lived in Louisiana and had a 1 year lease and he was transferred to Mississippi and I also found a job there. We have only paid 4 months of rent. The lease does not allow sub-letting. The landlord has done nothing to try to rent the place. We have been out about two weeks and we...

View more questions Search