Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rmsch83 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2010, 01:54 PM
    Carpet life in Ohio
    In the state of Ohio, Does a landlord have to replace the carpet in an apartment every 2 years? I just recently moved from an apartment that I lived in for 2 years. They want to charge me $96 because some of the carpet, according to them, was stained. My roommate and I shampoo the carpet before we left and anything in there looked like normal wear and tear to us. Any advice would be great
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2010, 02:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rmsch83 View Post
    In the state of Ohio, Does a landlord have to replace the carpet in an apartment every 2 years? I just recently moved from an apartment that I lived in for 2 years. They want to charge me $96 because some of the carpet, according to them, was stained. My roomate and I shampoo the carpet before we left and anything in there looked like normal wear and tear to us. Any advice would be great

It sounds to me like the landlord is cleaning it, not replacing it. Am I reading this wrong?

If you have photos which prove the condition of the carpet when you moved in and the condition when you left and the photos show normal wear and tear, refuse to pay and let them sue you.

Or if the landlord subtracts the charge from your security deposit, sue the landlord.

I don't know how much normal wear and tear there would be in two years - where did you see "normal wear and tear" and to what degree?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 25, 2010, 04:42 PM

I live in Ohio and have lived in 2 different apartments. The carpeting in the first apartment must have been at least 20 years old and worn out long ago but was not replaced before I lived there. The second apartment had carpeting that was probably around 4 years old.

I think the landlord is just using this as an excuse to keep or make $96 from you.

There is no written "law or rule" about replacing carpeting every 2 years in an apartment in Ohio that I am aware of.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 25, 2010, 05:01 PM

1. no there are no requirements to replace the carpet unless it is poor or stained. It could be 1 year or 10 years.

2. if you left stains on the carpet they may charge you for cleaning and/or replacing

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carpet life [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to find out what the normal life is of a carpet in a rental unit. We've been at our location 3+ years and I know we'll probably be asked to replace it when we move but want to figure out how much we are really responsible for..? Thanks!!

What is the useful life rule on carpet in North Dakota in a rental [ 1 Answers ]

I recently moved out from a rental in North Dakota. I lived there for 1.5 years. There was slight damage to the carpet which the landlord told me that he would repair, but the carpet was discontinued. Now I'm being charged to replace at new cost. Although, I lived there for 1.5 years and the...

I lost the love of my life, my life doesn't make sense anymore [ 4 Answers ]

I lost mybestfriend and love of my life 2 weeks ago and I don't understand my lifes purpose anymore, we had a connection so strong this doesn't make sense, everything I did in my over the past 22 years was for me however the constant knowing we would be together, we had 3 years to go before...

Charged for carpet replacement, carpet was not damaged [ 4 Answers ]

I moved out of an apartment and was charged $569.06 to replace the carpet. There was one stain, approximately 12x12 that I agreed was damaged. When I moved out, the Apartment Manager alleged, in writing, that I had a pet. I did not have a pet. I am an 18 year Flight Attendant and literally...

View more questions Search