Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davesixty Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Apr 24, 2010, 09:59 AM
    I'm having a noise problem and my landlord won t do anything about it
    I'm having a noise problem since Sept 09, I sent a written complaint to my landlord and called the boro police, the tenant below me has a movie thether system and blasts it and is very annoying, I also sent in another complaint to my land lord yesterday April 23rd, about another tenant who has some sort of a beeper that goes contantly, I have to wear ear plugs to bed, but if there s a fire, I'm sure I won t hear the smoke alarm, phone or a wrap on the door, these are all against the lease agreement we both signed. I ve been here as a tenant since sept 2006. Yesterday, oct 23rd when I complained, she told me maybe I should find a dwelling with another senior citizen, I'm on SSI and Disability and just can t pick up and leave, for one I ll loose my security deposit. I ve never been late with my rent and always abided by all the rules but can t get any help from my landlord, now she wants me out, she says the younger generation has no morales, but the rules on the lease are hers and that's why I moved here in the 1st place. I don t know what to do, I d like to move but I'm on a fixed income and it will take some time. My lease is up June 30th 2010. But she said I can leave at anytime, I'm paying rent for total aggravation, can someone please help me, I ll be 60 years old on May 3rd. Thank You much,

David Matthews
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2010, 10:03 AM

Hello d:

You're going to have to leave, but I'm sure you'll get your deposit back. I'll tell you how. You've probably got a couple months, but not much longer.

excon

Apr 24, 2010, 10:08 AM

Thanks excon, I kind of figured this and to be honest I want out, my nerves are shot!

D
    sohotitsscary Posts: 91, Reputation: 5

Apr 24, 2010, 10:16 AM

I had this problem myself 3 months ago, yes moving out is the only way out, landlords don't really care once the rent is paid its rare to find one that will do any thing.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2010, 10:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by davesixty View Post
    Thanks excon, I kinda figured this and to be honest I want out, my nerves are shot!!
    Hello again, d:

In order to guard your deposit, and to document the events, write your landlord a certified letter, accepting her generous offer to let you out of your lease. Tell her that you're seeking other lodging, and as soon as you have secured a place, you'll give her notice. Send the letter return receipt requested.

You don't need to mention your deposit. All you need to do is document the fact that your landlord LET YOU OUT of the lease. IF she decides down the road that YOU violated the lease, and she wants to keep your deposit, you'll HAVE the documentation you'll need to win a small claims lawsuit against her. Let's hope she see's the writing on the wall and gives it all back.

excon

Apr 24, 2010, 01:36 PM

Will do Excon, first thing Monday Morning, Thanks

D

Apr 24, 2010, 01:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sohotitsscary View Post
    i had this problem my self 3 months ago, yes moving out is the only way out, landlords dont really care once the rent is paid its rare to find one that will do any thing.
    I found that out real quick, greed is like a cancer! Thanks for your Help SOHOT
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 24, 2010, 01:49 PM

First, your lease expires in 2 months, so it may take you that long to find a new place and move in. So lets say you find a place sometime during May. It will probably not be read until the end of June anyway.

You also need to read your lease on renewal. Many leases state that you have to give 60 notice of your intention not to renew, which means you have a week to do so.

I would still write the letter as exco9n said, but I would change it a little:

Dear <insert landlord name>
    Thank you for you kind offer to let me out of my lease earlier than the 6/30/2010 expiration date. I understand that you are allowing me to vacate as soon as I am able and that you are waiving any notice requirements in our lease or by law. I will immediately start looking for new accommodations and inform you as soon as I find them. However, if I cannot find new lodgings before the lease expires I would expect to continue renting on a month to month basis until I can find a place to move to.

Apr 24, 2010, 07:25 PM

Thanks Scott, you all really are helping, a lot of good info, I have an appointment tomorrow to look at a new apt, I will follow your directions though and let everyone know how I made out tomorrow, thanks so much and I hope I can be of some assitance to someone someday, but I'm not leaving this thread after I move, this is interesting and there's a lot to learn here, thanks again!

D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord noise, what can be done? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in the lower level of my landlord's house, it's a private house and he lives there with his wife and 2 teenage stepchildren. The boys are loud, obnoxious and downright inconsiderate. It is now 12:03am here in New York. They are having a party or friends over or whatever, but my landlord...

How do I deal with noise from the landlord? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in NY and rent a basement in a private house. My landlord lives in the house with his wife and two teenage sons who are constantly blasting music, movies and TV so loud that it is nearly Impossible to hear my own TV, let alone hear myself think. I have repeatedly asked them to lower the...

We won ex landlord is filing a motion to vacate [ 39 Answers ]

My husband and I recently took our x landlord to court for not paying us our security deposit. She counterclaimed that we had ruined her floors and should pay for it. The magistrate ruled in our favor, dismissed her counterclaim and ordered her to pay us $2.040 by Dec 3. We got a letter from her...

Problem with Landlord [ 5 Answers ]

What city agency do I contact about problems getting my landlord to make repairs both in my apartment and in the common areas?

Whirlpool dryer-noise problem [ 3 Answers ]

My 2 1/2 year old whirlpool dryer just started making a humming sound. My husband was trying to dry some old tennis shoes when it kept opening the dryer door. After his third attempt, it started to make this humming sound. It seems to be working. I have not dryed anything because I am not sure...

View more questions Search