Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jabber8wocky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2006, 12:16 AM
    Verbal 12 month lease
    My business is in California. We have a written month to month lease for our office space. We recently met with the leasing director and asked her about extending our lease for 12 months. She verbally agreed that a 12 month lease is OK and will not be a problem. She then went on a 3 week vacation. During the time she was on vacation, another tenant wants our space, and the leasing company is forcing us to relocate to another location in the complex. We wish to stay where we currently are. Is the verbal commitment for a 12 month lease (to renew in January) enforceable?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2006, 01:20 AM
    Yes a verbal lease is valid.

But unless the leasing director will agree that she did offer you a 12 month extension, what proof do you have?

Tell the company about the leasing director and what you talked about and then get it in writing and talk with the leasing director the second she gets back.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 3, 2006, 09:22 AM
    Yes but of course as mentioned, the person who agreed to it, will have to stand up for you and say they agreed to it.

You should respond that per... you have a 12 month lease and expect them to respect that agreement.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 3, 2006, 12:02 PM
    Even if you have a month to month lease they cannot force you to relocate unless you violate the terms of the lease. What they can do, is raise the rental which may be more than you can afford to pay. You can offer to match whatever the new tenant is offering.

So, do as Chuck advised, respond to whatever communication you have received saying you have an agreement pending and you expect them to honor it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Year lease then month to month? [ 9 Answers ]

I live in Los Angeles California. I've lived in my apartment for over 1 year after signing a 12 month lease. Now that the 12 months on the lease are over, my landlord wants me to sign a new 12 month lease. I don't want to sign another 12 month lease. I may go to school in a few months and I'd...

Notice required on a month to month lease? [ 9 Answers ]

I signed a 1 year lease that ended on July 31, 2006 in Minnesota. The lease states that if resident stays in the apt after the lease ends, with managements approval, it becomes a month to month lease. I stayed. The notice period stated in the lease is 60 days, effective the last day of the month....

Month to month realestate lease Illinois [ 18 Answers ]

Can a month to month tenant live out their security deposit in the state of Illinois

Verbal occupancy - now landlord wants lease [ 7 Answers ]

My "landlord" allowed me to move in about a month ago under the agreement (verbal) that there would be no lease and I would be paying on a month to month basis, now out of no where she wants me to sign a lease in which I do not6 agree with the terms of, is this legal? Can she evict me? Can there be...

Month to Month Lease question [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Virginia. I have given my landlord (and roommate) 5 weeks notice that I intend to move out. I asked to prorate the month because I am moving out on the 18th of the month. Our lease is month to month. We have never signed any lease agreement-just verbal agreement on amount of rent and...

View more questions Search