Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roncrain Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2010, 06:51 PM
    Can I break an owner finance contract without damaging my credit
    We purchased land (3) years ago and the owner carried the note. We pay interest only and are allowed to pay up to $500.00 on the principle. We have recently discovered that we will not be able to secure a loan to build a house without coming up with at least half of the money (not going to happen). Can we basically walk away from the loan and will it effect our credit. We are prepared to take the loss of the principle paid to date.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2010, 07:07 PM

If you default on the contract - and it appears there is a contract - yes, you can be sued for the full amount and, yes, that Judgment against you will affect your credit.

What are the terms of the note?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 29, 2010, 07:40 PM

Carrying a note is different from a contract. You need to be clear what you have. If you have a mortgage with the seller carrying the note, then he may be willing to take back the property instead of foreclosing.

On the other hand if you have a contract for sale, then you need to read the contract to see what it says about defaulting on the contract.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Owner finance [ 1 Answers ]

I have a rent to own tennit. If I ower finance this home . Can my frist time home buyer get the $8000 tax credit.:)

Owner Finance [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, My husband and I are the buyers of an owner financed home. We have lived in the home for over one year. The loan ballooned in March of 08, however seller decided to finance us for another year, due to extenduating circumstances. We had always been on time or early on getting our payment...

Owner Finance [ 8 Answers ]

I need to sell my house in a short period due to relocating. My payoffs are more than I expected and I don't believe that I can list the house with a realtor and get what I need to pay the house off. Is owner-financing the best option or should I get an appraisal to see how much the house will...

Owner finance [ 6 Answers ]

Hello everyone, I'm in process of selling an apartment and buyer wants seller to finance 10%. I'm not really familiar with this, and want to know what are pros and cons. I was hoping to use the proceeds in different investment avenue. The buyer wants 10 percent ($28,400)financed over 5 years...

Contract for Deed OR Owner Finance? [ 4 Answers ]

I was not successful in selling my previous home for $148,000 in summer last year, then my son moved in and back out (he also owns another house to which he moved back... divorce affair.) I found a tenant as of May 1, 2007. She has good references but does not have sufficient credit to buy the...

View more questions Search