Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sewbee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2010, 09:48 AM
    Clear my credit of 10 years bad payment history of home by Granddaughter with me as c
    In Florida, I need to find out how I as a co-signer on my granddaughters mortgage can be taken off.
    1. I signed in 2000, and she has not kept up with payments until taken to court, and was almost foreclosed on WITHOUT my knowledge if problems. Knowing what she is doing, she has had no contact with me, and now that I got after her, it's worse.

2. When I was aware of problems, the lenderes REFUSED to send me a late notice as well as she, stating they only send one to the physical address. Since I do not have her S.S Number, I could not call lenders and get status of account.

3. She has now ruined my credit (all 3 Credit Bureaus) which was otherwise very good with her nonsense, for the NEXT 30 YEARS. (I am now 78)

4. *How can I find out if my name is on the Deed/Title, and can I sell the house to clear my name? Credit reports all this for the last 10 years.
    HELP, HELP
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 29, 2010, 09:57 AM
    You can't get your name off the mortgage. If the granddaughter refinances she can do so without you. But given her credit history that's unlikely.

1. no question here, nothing we can do

2. again no question, but behavior is typical of lenders

3. This is the risk you take when you co-sign for someone. Again no question

4. You can check with the County Clerk's office. They usually handle recording of deeds so you can check how has title to the property. Even if you are on the title, unless you are the only one on the title you can't sell the property without the other owner's approval. Even if you sell, it will not improve your credit for awhile.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2010, 05:04 PM

Being a cosigner has lots of unforseen pitfalls.

In your case being age 78 why are you so worried about your credit? Are you planning on purchasing another home, car, etc?

At this point short of pulling out your hair you really have no options as ScottGem has outlined above.

It's sad when children and grandchildren pull this on grandparents and parents. They get a perfectly good loan on a car or a house and then don't hold up their end of the contract to pay for the car or home. Sometimes when things are made too easy for the children or grandchildren (in your case) out of the goodness of your heart they will come back and bite your hand for being so kind in helping them.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 29, 2010, 05:09 PM

Also, have you asked her parents for her social security number? I'm sure they know having to have to fill it in for their IRS taxes each year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you buy land with bad credit and no down payment? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I would like to buy some land for our mobile home. We have bad credit And no down payment. We would like to know if this is possible. Financing is not an option. The banks will not finance us at this point. We can afford $400/month:confused:

Our home is three years old we have a bad sulphur smell in the basement when ever it [ 2 Answers ]

A very strong sulphur odor comes from our basement ,when ever it rains and when we do laundry, our Home is only three years old ,the land around us is mostly clay bed, we have a well, but we invested $7.000.00 into a water purification system so we are able to drink our water ,We have a septic bed...

Is bad credit removed in 7 years [ 1 Answers ]

Does unpaid bad credit simply get removed from your credit report after 7 years? Is it like that debt never happened? Does the removed debt continue to effect your credit score once it has been removed?

Car payment is too much bad credit [ 4 Answers ]

What can be done about a car loan that I can't afford and can only pay half of a 430.00

Can a credit card co. Put a judgement on your home, and also demand payment? [ 3 Answers ]

In Dec. of 2004, MBNA put a lien on my home. I got into debt because my husband died in 1999 and it took over 8 years to win my widows benefits of DIC. Two years ago, I started drawing benefits from Social Security. I know that they cannot garnish my S.S. NOR my DIC claim, but I would also like to...

View more questions Search