Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RB222 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2010, 08:50 PM
    My virginia realtor did not tell me renter foreclosure options
    We have been renting in VA. Owners forclosed. The federal law Obama signed this past year states that the realtors (who represent the forclosed property) must honor our lease as we were not paying month to month. This was never given to us an as option. Luckily, we did not take the $3500 from Fannie Mae - who bought the foreclosure. We only learned about this option upon receiving Fannie Mae's paperwork. The realtor never mention this law or gave us an option to do anything but leave in a designated time frame. Are there any laws that bind realtors in VA to disclose certain info to us? I ask for this reason: Fannae Mae obviously knew the importance of disclosing this or they would not have included it (in the fine print) prior to us signing forms to leave. Knowing the realtors (Coldwell Banker) is representing their interest, it seems they would have known to do so. After speaking to the realtor several times, she dancing around the issue and never once directly responding to my questions, it appears that she; all-be-it for reasons unbeknown to me purposely with held this information. I am open to any relevant comments to this post. Thank you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 27, 2010, 08:55 PM

I'm a little confused here. You were provided with paperwork that detailed your rights, correct? It is NOT the responsibility of the landlord's agent to explain in detail what is in that paperwork.

The Realtor represents the owner of the property, not you. If the lender foreclosed, then they or whoever buys the property, has to honor the lease. You would then have to move when the lease expires.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Renter in Foreclosure [ 4 Answers ]

I am renting a home that has been started in the foreclosure process. My landlord did not inform me of this, instead I had a police officer serve me with papers thinking I was the owner. My lease ends in feb09, and the house is selling in a foreclosure sale oct 13, 08. My landlord is also not...

Renter in foreclosure [ 1 Answers ]

I am renting with a lease and the owner is in foreclosure and now she is filing chapter 13 and now she said its all OK and wants the check for rent whey do I do? Its still in foreclosure and she is in defualt since Jan 2008 and made us sign a lease and raised our rent and I told her that am not...

Renter in a foreclosure [ 1 Answers ]

I have heard so many different answers to this foreclosure deal. Unfortunately my boyfriend and I are in the same boat. Our deal is our lease was up in February and we corresponded with the landlord then and he didn't want us to sign another lease because of the situation. So here we sit in the...

Renter of foreclosure [ 3 Answers ]

I am a renter who is in a forclosed home, a realtor came by and offered cash for keys which I accepted to get out in 15 days, I signed contract then he handed me a 30 days notice for property, I would rather have the 30 days instead of the cash so my kids can finish school year here, can I cancel ...

View more questions Search