Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jim Llinet Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2006, 04:16 PM
    Garnishment of Wages in Alabama
    Hello... I just receive a notice from the court telling me that one of my creditors obtained a judgement against me, and is pettitioned the court to garnish my wages to pay the debt. I recognize that I owe the money, but at the time I didn't have it to pay it. Now I do... the question is 2 parts: 1) In Alabama, what is the definition of 'disposable income" and 2) What are my chances of negotiating a settlement of the debt before the court moves for a Garnishment of wages? Thank you. J
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2006, 04:26 PM
    Hello Jim:

The court isn't going to garnish your wages - the judgment creditor will. I don't know what disposable income is, but I'm sure they'll take about 75% of your paycheck until it's paid.

And, that brings me to the second part of your question. Sure, you can negotiate with them. You always could have. But NOW, they have a lock on your money, that they didn't have BEFORE the judgment. So, they don't have to be nice. I'll bet they're going to want, 90% of their money in cash right now, or they'll just take more than that later on.

They may not even talk to you.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 20, 2006, 06:07 PM
    Unless things have changed, a single person they can get up to 50 percent of your pay, for a married person they can get 25 percent of your pay.

This is your pay after taxes.

They don't care if you can't pay rent, buy food or pay for your car. That will be your problem. Sorry but that is what happens with a garnishment
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Nov 20, 2006, 08:56 PM
    I live in AL too but have never had the unfortunate experience you have had. Funnny, or not so funny, but it's been said that about 90 % of us are about one paycheck away from what you just experienced or something similar! I don't know either what is considered disposalble income but Excon and Fr_Chuch are probably about right. Check with an attorney or the Clerk of the Court who may or not discuss it with you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IRS garnishment of wages [ 8 Answers ]

Can my employee garnish my bonus or commission check? If so, at what percent. I just had a garnishment on my wages of my bonus check and the check was for ($1377.00 gross) and all I received was $10.47 the garnished almost the whole thing. Is that legal?

Garnishment of wages [ 1 Answers ]

I want to garnish wages from an real estate agent in GA. CIF wages are earned by a agent (independant contractor) through a broker, can their wages be garnished?

Garnishment of wages [ 3 Answers ]

How is a garnishment handled when 2 parties were envolved for one payment, can one person only be garnished for the payment due, what to do if they try to put it on one person:confused:

Garnishment of wages [ 1 Answers ]

In the state of Pennsylvania who can garnish wages

View more questions Search