Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joshfromweber Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2006, 10:37 AM
    Do I have a grace period after the lease is ended?
    :confused: my lease expired on oct 30th but I needed to wait until nov 1st to move my things into a new place. Now my old landlord is saying that she wants to keep part of my deposit for the extra 2 days I was in the apt. is this legal or do I get some sort of grace period for cleaning and touc:confused: h ups?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 12, 2006, 10:44 AM
    There is normally no grace period, and if you were in the rental unit after your move out date, you went to a month to month rental in most cases.

I believe he could have held you responsible for the entire months rent if you were not out so asking you to pay for the two days does not seem wrong ?

If you were using his property for two days, why do you think you don't owe him something?
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Nov 12, 2006, 04:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joshfromweber
    :confused: my lease expired on oct 30th but i needed to wait until nov 1st to move my things into a new place. now my old landlord is saying that she wants to keep part of my deposit for the extra 2 days i was in the apt. is this legal or do i get some sort of grace period for cleaning and touc:confused: h ups?
    No grace period at the end of a fixed term lease AND if there is a "holdover rent" clause you may actually owe MORE than the per diem of your previous rent... this is where putting your belongings on a U-Haul and bunking with friends may have been your BETTER choice.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 12, 2006, 04:40 PM
    The purpose of a security deposit is two fold. To protect the LL if damage is done and/or to pretect the LL from a tenant skipping out. So its perfectly legal for the LL to charge you for occupying the premises after the lease expires.

As Chuck notes, count yourself lucky he didn't charge you for the whole month.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ended things with my boyfriend because OF A STRIP CLUB! [ 7 Answers ]

Yesterday my boyfriend told me he was going out with his friend for coffee and I was totally OK with that, but than after a couple of hours later I called him and he didn't answer the phone the first time so I called him again in a couple of seconds and he sounded it out of breath which made me...

Rent due-how long is grace period to pay? [ 4 Answers ]

I heard that when rent is due,there is a 5 day grace period to pay before you can be charged late fees. My question is- Is the grace period 5 days including weekends or is it 5 working days excluding weekends and holidays. I live in an apt in the state of California. ...

Grace period for rent [ 8 Answers ]

Is there any grace period after the rent is due in California before a 3 day notice is served?

Help with Grace [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone suggest an appropriate grace to be said before the wedding breakfast The bride and groom are in their earlythirties and Church of England. Any ideas

View more questions Search