Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lauryka1969 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2009, 03:41 AM
    Can I be forced to move a 41 year old mobile home with additions?
    No sure if I am asking in the right location but here is my situation that I need help with.

I live in a mobile home village. My MH has been on the same lot for 41 years. My father added on to it through out those 41 years. He basically converted a singgle wide into a double wide. Now the problem is the park owner is now adding RV's to the park and wants all the loys on or near the lake for the RV's. He is trying to get all the trailers to move to a different lot. My trailer can no longer be moved without destroying it. I also have recently has a new roofing system put on that has a lifetime gauruantee. Which if he makes me move it the guarantee is null and void. I have also recently had siding put on and new windows. Moving mt home will destroy can he force me to do move it? Can he purposely tear up someone's home for his own financial gain?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2009, 08:28 AM

Do you have a signed lease on the lot or are you a month to month tenant on the lot. If you are a month to month with no signed lease he can evict you but he would have to go to court and do it legally. He probably won't win if you have always paid your lot rent and had no material violations or other violations cited to you or your home for a certain period. You would need an attorney to fight this as it would be hard for you to do this on your own and win.

Yes, moving your single wide with all the add ons would be a disaster and could not be accomplished even with professional house movers.

Has he offered you any money to buy you out?

What state are you in as you didn't say?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 3, 2009, 09:22 AM

As a renter of the lot, you can be forced to move once the lease expires. The fact that you have been there this long and have made improvements has no bearing. You need to read your last signed lease to see what rights you have, if any.

When you make improvements to rental property or property located on rented land, you take a big risk.
    lauryka1969 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2009, 03:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Do you have a signed lease on the lot or are you a month to month tenant on the lot. If you are a month to month with no signed lease he can evict you but he would have to go to court and do it legally. He probably won't win if you have always paid your lot rent and had no material violations or other violations cited to you or your home for a certain period of time. You would need an attorney to fight this as it would be hard for you to do this on your own and win.

Yes, moving your single wide with all the add ons would be a disaster and could not be accomplished even with professional house movers.

Has he offered you any money to buy you out?

What state are you in as you didn't say?
    I live in Ohio. I am not being evicted... he is forcing us all to move our homes to different lots just so he can rent the ones we are all on to campers because we are closest to the lake. Campers will only be here for a few weeks or months at a time,where as we are all permanent residents. And no he has not offered to buy me out. Which I am not willing to do.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 4, 2009, 04:46 AM

What I suggest is that you band with the other permanent residents and form a tenants association. Pool your resources and hire an attorney (probably one that specializes in real estate) to help you.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 4, 2009, 08:13 AM

One problem is that "mobile home village", or "trailer court" as they used to call them when I was growing up, is an anachronism. They were created some 50 years ago before modern land use planning was in place. As far as I can see, there are few statutes regulating them. In the absence of such statutory protection, you would have to look to the terms of your lease.

You coud also talk to you local planning department to see what, if any, zoning laws might impede your landlord's ability to do what he proposes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Forced to remove mobile home from park [ 11 Answers ]

My father has a mortgage remaining on a mobile home. He rents it to pay the mortgage. The girl who was supposed to pay it off (notarized statement) has defaulted, and when he called the owner of the park to tell him his grandson (not my son) will be moving in, they informed him that he has to...

How to move pipes in mobile home or trailer [ 1 Answers ]

We live in a double wide trailer and are wanting to take out our garden tube and tile in a shower there. How can we move the pipes to accomidate use for a shower installation? I would like to know if anyone has done this before or seen it done. We are wanting to make sure we do it right. Any help...

We are being forced to move out of our mobile home park [ 10 Answers ]

We were told last week we had to move out by the end of June. (all 300 mobile homes) The reason, the Dept of environmental quality told the owners in 2002 they needed to upgrade the sewer treatment system. They did nothing. We were not aware of this information until last week. Can I stop...

Home additions [ 8 Answers ]

How do I tie a new addition wall into the existing structure?

Land owner won't let me move my mobile home [ 18 Answers ]

Can the owner of the land keep my mobile home? What do I need to file in court in order to move my mobile home?

View more questions Search