Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ANB428 Posts: 450, Reputation: 42

Jul 27, 2009, 12:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    Take him to court. If you can't prove you turned the keys in and he denies you didn't it will be your word against his and you have a good chance the Judge will believe you.
    Explain everything as exact as you can like when and how you turned in the keys, that you made attempts to get your deposit back and cleaning you did---whatever information the Judge wants
    Basically be as prepared as possible.
    Okay, so I should take my phone records (from where I have tried to contact him), a copy of the old lease and a receipt, if I have it?

Anything else?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 27, 2009, 12:43 PM

Ok, ask for one (or more) of the neighbors to sign a notarized affadavit saying there were aware you moved out on x date. Its unlkely they would need to go to court.

But I also agree with NoHelp4U. Tell your story to the judge. Unless the landlord can show that he made an attempt to send you the deposit or the accounting within a few days of the 21 days, its will probably be moot.

Jul 27, 2009, 12:49 PM

Okay, I will do that. To get a notarized letter can I just type it up and have them sign it and then take it to a notarizer, or do they have to sign it in front of a notarizer?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2009, 01:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ANB428 View Post
    Okay, I will do that. To get a notarized letter can I just type it up and have them sign it and then take it to a notarizer, or do they have to sign it in front of a notarizer?
    They can't sign it beforehand. They need to take proof of identification and then sign it in front of the notary.

Jul 27, 2009, 01:50 PM

Okay, I will stop by their house and talk to them tonight. Thanks for all of your help and suggestions!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rent Deposit [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there! Does anyone know how long a landlord can keep a tenant's deposit after the lease is finished? I moved out June 23rd, my lease was up June 30th and today... it's August 14th and I still haven't received my deposit back. I received a letter from the apartment complex saying I was to...

Rent deposit [ 1 Answers ]

A person came to a House we were renting which belongs to us Gave a deposit of one month rent and one month damage deposit on a Sunday. Said he would come back Tuesday to sign the contract. We told everyone the house was rented and took it off the market. Tuesday the person said he did not...

Rent as pet deposit [ 2 Answers ]

Can a landlord use your monthly rent payment as a pet deposit?

Rent and Security Deposit [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I'm hoping you can give me good advice. I found a place to rent. I gave the tenant (whom is not on the lease) $600 for rent for the month of June. I was in the process of moving in. I also gave the tenant $600 for a security deposit. The tenant and I had a dispute and now he wants me...

Rent and deposit in Ohio [ 6 Answers ]

I just moved to Ohio I got a job and I found an apartment to but I need help with my deposit and first months rent (I got it after that) how can I get help?:confused:

View more questions Search