Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trishAbrown Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 10, 2009, 12:18 PM
    Get out of land contract
    My husband and I are stuck in a land contract. We are wanting to move out of our terrible neighborhood but we got stuck in a house that is falling apart and we don't have the finances to fix up. Do we have any options in trying to get out of this contract?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 10, 2009, 12:32 PM

Most contracts for deed have a default clause. If you default under the contract, the contract becomes a rental lease and anything over and above the rent is forfeit. You can generally give 30 day notice to the seller that you are defaulting and walk away.

You need to read your contract to see if there are any other penalties for defaulting.
    nightnursein Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2009, 07:53 PM

Unless you have "equitable Interest" clause... where you have paid enough to have invested in this property. In some land contracts, most standard ones, actually, the clause reads that should that amount have been reached, if you default, the seller has the right to view as a prommissory not i.e. a "mortgage" and can file foreclosure on you for the total amount yada yada. Read your contract.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting out of a land contract [ 1 Answers ]

We are in a land contract, we recently come across a buyer for the home and we told the owners and they were all for it, there were all these fee involved, we did not have the money so the reality said she would come down on her end if the owner would come down on his end, after dealing with this...

Land contract [ 5 Answers ]

I have a person in a very small town that has learned how to sell property on land contract. He has created a system that he sells run down property to people who never intend on buying the property, but just want to rent. He gets a sizeable down payment and then each new home owner takes on the...

Land contract [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Before I got married, I had a land contract on our house through my mom who has no lean on the house. It's a 30 year contract but it only has my name on it. We now have kids and want to have her name on the contract as well. My mother also agreed to give us a better interest rate. She had...

Bad land contract? [ 2 Answers ]

Well, I know.. if I FIRST got an attorney involved.. but I did not. I NOW have one though.. Trying to condense.. I sold my home on a 6 month land contract. 10,000 down, 1000 a month ( mort. Pmt) then in 6 months to obtain financing and close... well he pretty much paid me even the 6 months pmts,...

View more questions Search