Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skmoney29 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2006, 01:14 PM
    Previous tenant in violation of 30 day notice
    On Saturday my roommate and I put down a deposit and signed a deposit agreement for an apartment which is supposed to be vacated at the end of this month, and available in mid-october. About an hour or two after we left, the manager called me and told me that one out of the three current occupants has decided she does not want to move out. Supposedly, they all three gave 30 day notice to be out by the end of this month, meaning this is 2 weeks after that. We have now signed a deposit agreement, though we have yet to sign a lease. The apartment complex is involving us in this for some reason, and saying that they are trying to resolve it. Does this previous tenant have any legal right to stay in the apartment after she gave notice, and we signed papers? Are we crazy or is this completely unprofessional behavior for this complex to even be calling us and not just telling this girl, "sorry it's been rented." If anyone has advice, and maybe a legal article online I can refer to or refer the apartment complex too, that would be very helpful. Thank you.

Sep 18, 2006, 01:17 PM
    This is in California, I forgot to mention.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 18, 2006, 01:19 PM
    1) You gave a deposit but did not sign the lease
    2) Any issue the complex has with the previous tenant has NOTHING to do with you other than preventing you from renting the apartment.

All the complex has to do is return your deposit and say sorry, but the apartment is not available like we thought

If they want to try to evict the current occupant, that's up to them and has nothing to do with you. If they can't have the apartment ready by when they agreed to (assuming this was on the deposit agreement) then they may have to pay any penalities for that.

You have no say in their dealings with the current occupant.

Sep 18, 2006, 01:24 PM
    Thanks for your help.

Sep 18, 2006, 01:36 PM
    To add to this question: I understand what you're saying in that we have nothing to really do with this situation. However, do you think that the apartment complex is obligated to uphold this girl's 30 day notice? We were not given the option to sign the lease and were told we would do that when we move in. By this logic then, we could have arrived on our move-in day with our moving trucks and they could tell us, "sorry it's no longer available." The reason this is frustrating to us is because it seems so clear that this girl is in the wrong, and yet the apartment complex is backing down from her for no apparent reason, when she really has no right. Us not getting the apartment is just a side effect of that, I get that, but it seems like everything should be pretty straight forward here and yet it's becoming a mess.
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Sep 18, 2006, 01:52 PM
    I would look at the bright side, do you really want to deal with shady landlords in the first place?

Your probably better off not to be there. I wouldn't make it complicated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leasing Tenant evicting another Tenant [ 1 Answers ]

What is required by the court in the state of Michigan for a listed Tenant to Evict a non listed Tenant on a lease/land contract when the non listed Tenant pays the monthly rent, and all utilities are in non listed tenants name at the residents and both have been a resident from day one and the...

Can I file my previous years form 8843 now [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question, I was a foreign student in US till 2003. I filled my first tax return in year 2001 because I had an income at that time. After that assuming I don't have to file because I didn't have an income in year 2002 and 2003 I did not file any return nor I filled the form 8843....

Please coment on this answer to previous q [ 3 Answers ]

1: why do men complety ignore women when they are hurting? My girlfriend seems to be hurting all the time It seems to be a cry for attention that I don't want to encourage I do take care of her when it really matters 2: Why do men always flip a agrument around like they did nothing wronge?...

Mistake in Previous post... PLEAE HELP [ 6 Answers ]

I made a mistake in my previous post. Sorry. I told you that the video was burned to a dvd, it was not. It was burned to a regular cd. Is there still any way of extracting just the music file? Thanks again, Paul

Clearing the previous e-mail addresses [ 1 Answers ]

Whenever I log in to MS Messenger, I immediately get all the previous entered e-mails, is there anyway to clear them out so when someone else comes next to me can't see my e-mails addresses. I have already tried to clear them out by the following: • Internet Options • Content • ...

View more questions Search