Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spineda Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2009, 03:48 PM
    No lease no deposit living in apartment
    Okay, I recently moved into an apartment in Long Beach Ca. The realtor gave me the keys to the apartment and agreed to come sign the lease the next day. The problem is he never showed up. And I keep calling him and he keeps telling me he's coming but never showes. I'ts been almost a month and I still have not sign ANY paperwork to state that I moved in. Can he charge me for rent if there is no lease?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 23, 2009, 06:18 PM

You are on a month to month verbal rental agreement. The rental amount will be as agreed, but they can change it with a month notice without a written lease
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 23, 2009, 06:25 PM

You occupy you pay rent. Just because you haven't signed a lease doesn't mean you get to live free.
    spineda Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2009, 09:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    You are on a month to month verbal rental agreement. The rental amount will be as agreed, but they can change it with a month notice without a written lease
    But, I don't even have anything to proovr that I live here. The apartment is still for rent the sign is still outside.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 25, 2009, 06:28 AM

You have the keys? Did you file a change of address with the PO. Did you move in any of your belongings? These are all proof that you are the resident. Take down the sign.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting back apartment reservation deposit before signing lease [ 6 Answers ]

I am in the state of Connecticut. I have given $500 security deposit check to reserve an apartment unit but haven't yet moved in nor have I signed the lease yet. Recently I found out adverse online reviews about that apartment complex having been infested with bed bugs and management not being...

How do I evict a family member that is living in my apartment [ 2 Answers ]

I am asking for my nephew who is having problems with his mother who lives in his apartment with him, his fiancé and their 1 year old daughter. He lives in Linden, NJ. He told his mom when they moved in that if she reverted back to using drugs (she was a recovering addict) that she would have to...

Apartment rental - cashing deposit before signing lease? [ 3 Answers ]

I don't know if what has happened is legal or what not, but I am confused and when I go talk to them later this week I want to be able to sound informed and not... well as clueless as I am. I had applied and been approved for an apartment. We had agreed that I would be able to see the unit...

When should I pay my deposit on my apartment? [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently decided to get an apartment and the leasing manager has walked me through all of the steps to do so. I paid my deposit, application fee and administration fee up front like he asked me to and then wa told where to go to switch the utilities into my name and was sent to do it. I was...

Student Housing lease signed, no lease or security deposit. Can I cancel lease? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a student housing house. I require a $200 non-refundable lease deposit within 15 days of signing the lease (in this case it was due March 15). A $300 secutity deposit due June 1, and the rent less the lease deposit due August 28. I have a student that signed the lease, but never sent...

View more questions Search