Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeanestadler Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2009, 09:52 AM
    Evict relative with no lease - NY
    I have had my cousin's son - age 26 living with me for months and it is just not working out. He does not pay what he owes and takes advantage of my money and kindness. We have not ever had any verbal agreement or written agreement.

I just told him he could stay a little while... now I am not sure what steps to do to kick him out. We had an argument and he said I owed him a 30 day notice.

I am a single mom and being totally taken advantage of. He even borrowed money from my 14 year old daughter and has not paid her back either.

Please help me!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2009, 09:55 AM

He has to be evicted according to the laws of your State.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2009, 10:01 AM

the laws of your state may require red tape to "evict" him... or you can, as I would, give him (verbally) a x-day notice to move... and if he's not out by then, set his stuff outside.

There is no easy answer to your question... I just gave my 1.5 cents worth :o
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2009, 10:06 AM

Quoting myself (specific to NYS): NYS eviction is a legal process with procedures which must be strictly followed. The landlord CANNOT just call the police and have a tenant evicted because he wants the tenant out. The tenant has the right to due process.

Under NYS Law, a landlord seeking to evict a tenant for non-payment must first give the tenant a chance to pay, by giving the tenant a three-day (3 day) notice in writing, stating that the tenant has three days to pay all the rent in full or the tenancy will be terminated.

The eviction can be started following the three (3) day notice if no payment is received.
    The landlord then files a petition and obtains a hearing date. The hearing date MUST be scheduled between five (5) and twelve (12) days after the tenant is served.

Service is made either by having a third party (not the landlord and it is not particularly wise to have a relative of the landlord do the service) personally hand the petition to the tenant. If the tenant is avoiding service it may be made by nailing the petition to the door and sending a copy by mail (nail and mail) as soon as possible - I would mail it the very same day. An Affidavit of Service will be provided by the Court and it must be completed by the person who does the service. If service is made by nail and mail and the tenant does not appear in court the landlord will get an eviction warrant but will NOT get a money judgment for unpaid rent - however the landlord will get the warrant and will have to go to Small Claims Court in a separate action and sue for unpaid rent.*

If the judge finds that the tenancy is terminated because of non-payment he/she will sign a warrant of eviction. The landlord may also obtain a money judgment for the arrears due in rent if personal service was made and the tenant makes a personal appearance in court.

Once the warrant of eviction (this is NOT the same thing as an arrest warrant) is signed by the Judge the landlord then submits the warrant to the sheriff. The sheriff must give seventy-two (72) hours notice to the tenant before enforcing it and evicting the tenant.

The landlord has no right to garnish wages without a money judgment. *If the landlord does not get a money judgment during the eviction proceeding, he may sue the tenant in small claims court at a later date.

The landlord tenant law in NYS is favorable to the tenant. There are strict procedural rules and if the tenant comes to Court with the past due rent and late fees the landlord must accept them and the Judge will NOT order eviction. The landlord would then have to attempt to evict for breach of contract or some other grounds."
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2009, 10:17 AM

With all respect to Judy and all law abiding citizens, I will add the following:

If you do not follow the letter of the law, you may be sued.

... sometimes I take my chances...

Do NOT "take your chances" based on my advice unless you are willing to suffer the potential consequences.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you claim all tax breaks even if you lease to a relative? [ 1 Answers ]

Can you lease a home you purchased to a relative and still claim all tax breaks? Someone told me you cannot do this if it is your relative . They would be paying the rent that would cover the taxes , payment and swim club membership. Also, would be resposible for all repairs. Would also, have to...

How to evict without a lease [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get tenants out who do not have a lease? The tenant also has 2 kids, she is 2 months behind on rent working on 3

How do I evict a boyfriend never on the lease? [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: Hello, I let my boyfriend move in with me a year ago and he and I recently broke up. He refuses to pay me any rent until he finds a place, and he refuses to leave until he finds a place suitable for him (i.e. he is not going to simply make things easier and get his things out and...

How do I evict a roommate with no lease? [ 1 Answers ]

I own a house and am renting a room to someone. There is no lease and he pays rent on a month to month basis. The problem is that he hasn't paid me rent lately. How can I legally get him out as quickly as possible? I live in Maryland

Evict a non-payer who is not on lease [ 1 Answers ]

I do not have 500.00 to evict this non-paying person who I made the mistake of letting stay with me, is there any cheaper way?

View more questions Search