Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    barbarianjeff Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2009, 10:44 PM
    Mortgage foreclosure, does lender have to mitigate their losses?
    I have a friend who is going to be appearing PRO SE at her own foreclosure hearing. She told me that PRIOR to going into default on her mortgage payments, she attempted several times to contact the lender, the lender said they are not prepared to talk to her until she was at least 3 months into default. The representative of the lender whom my friend was talking to hung up on my friend after telling her she has to be a minimum of 3 months in default.

I told her that the lender has a responsibility to mitigate (CUT) their losses when the borrower gave them the opportunity well in advance of them suffering any actual loss. Not to do so, they are willfully contributing to their own demise. It doesn't make any sense that the lender be willing to suffer up to a 3 month loss in income (mortgage payments) and then cry foul because they lost money through the borrower not paying them.

By refusing to talk to the borrower, the lender has placed the borrower and themselves in the untenable position of suffering avoidable losses when it could have been avoided had they negotiated with the borrower by making a temporary adjustment to offset any potential or actual losses, the lender could have mitigated their losses.

Am I correct in giving her this point of view? I am not an attorney.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2009, 07:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarianjeff View Post
    I have a friend who is going to be appearing PRO SE at her own foreclosure hearing. She told me that PRIOR to going into default on her mortgage payments, she attempted several times to contact the lender, the lender said they are not prepared to talk to her until she was at least 3 months into default. The representative of the lender whom my friend was talking to hung up on my friend after telling her she has to be a minimum of 3 months in default.

I told her that the lender has a responsibility to mitigate (CUT) their losses when the borrower gave them the opportunity well in advance of them suffering any actual loss...

By refusing to talk to the borrower, the lender has placed the borrower and themselves in the untenable position of suffering avoidable losses when it could have been avoided had they negotiated with the borrower by making a temporary adjustment to offset any potential or actual losses, the lender could have mitigated their losses.

Am I correct in giving her this point of view? I am not an attorney.

You make a very good argument, but I have never heard of a lender's responsibility to mitigate loss; but we are in uncertain times.
    I believe your friend should read through all the mortgage papers, carefully. You may locate an avenue of help if the loan is guaranteed by FHA or HUD, or some other government entity. If the loan is guaranteed, call the agency immediately and ask for help. I have attached an outside, third-party-type advertisement; I read through the FAQ's quickly, and disagree with its bankruptcy answer. I know, personally, that many homes have been 'saved' for their owners through Chapter 13 and Chapter 7.
    How Loan Modifications work, what is a loan modification?, loan modification, mortgage modification

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mortgage broker vs. Mortgage Lender [ 3 Answers ]

What are the pro's and con's of using either a mortgage broker or going directly to the mortgage lender?

Mortgage refi. I am doubting my lender! [ 5 Answers ]

I am first time home buyer and purchased my home last year. I got 100% financing for my home loan which was structured as 75-15 by the lender. Just recently I spoke to my lender regarding REFI and after reviewing they suggested a 100% FHA loan. In addition it was a 0 closing cost REFI and all I had...

Can I transfer my mortgage to another property my lender owns? [ 3 Answers ]

I relocated to Georgia and cannot sell my home in North Carolina. Since I have that outstanding mortgage, I'm unable to get another mortgage and I'm forced to pay rent, my mortgage in North Carolina and storage for the items that can't fit in my current abode. Something's got to give because...

How do I prove misrepresentation from a mortgage lender [ 2 Answers ]

In March 0f 2006, my husband and I refinanced our home. We had a 6.25% fixed rate. We got a call from a lender who told us he could save us a ton of money. We were skeptical at first, but we allowed the broker to come to our home. He was so intelligent and impressive, we trusted him. He told us we...

Mortgage lender [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a way to find out who the mortgage lender is online without having to go to the court house to research the mortgage deeds?

View more questions Search