Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    akjedi108 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2009, 10:42 PM
    Tenant to occupant eviction
    I am on a lease as of march 1st by myself I currently have a house mate that has been causing problems she is on the current lease which ends march 1st 2009. How long do I have to give her to vacate. This is in the sate of Vermont
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2009, 08:08 AM

Hello a:

You need to give her 30 days WRITTEN notice that includes one complete rental period. In other words, if her rent is due on the 1st, the notice needs to be received before the 1st, and it will take effect on the 1st.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 23, 2009, 08:41 AM

Let me see if I follow this. You have a lease that both you and your housemate signed that expires 3/1/2009. You have already signed a lease starting 3/1/2009 by yourself. And you want the housemate out.

I would suggest you read the lease currently in effect. It may state that unless the lease is renewed, you have to vacate by 3/1. If that's the case, tell the housemate since she didn't renew, she has to be out by 3/1. Give notification of this by letter. If they are still there after 3/1 you may be able to file for eviction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The binding effect of being a written occupant, but not tenant, on a 1 yr res. Lease [ 1 Answers ]

My friend entered into a one-year residential lease in New Jersey for an apartment along with her significant other and one other individual. When going to sign the lease, the other individual did not have his driver's license as the front office required. However, instead of coming back another...

Can a tenant evict an occupant? [ 2 Answers ]

Can I as a tenant, (only my name is on the lease) evict someone living in my house who is only listed as an occupant?

I have found nothing on authorized occupant evictions in the Va lanlord-tenant act [ 8 Answers ]

Our Lanlords recently sent an eviction notice (letter form) stating that our authorized occupant must leave the premises in 3 days... We were advised by an attorney however that the lanlords needed a court order to evict him... When they showed up 3 days later to enforce his eviction we all stated...

Occupant vs. Tenant rights in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

I am the listed "resident/tenant" on an apartment lease in NJ. I do not actually live in the apartment, but rather have 2 other individuals living in it. In one section of the lease, these 2 individuals are actually listed as "Occupants". These 2 individuals are neither listed as...

Tenant vs Occupant in NJ; Corporate Rental? [ 10 Answers ]

I have a question and not sure where to turn, I have a residential rental property. I have the lease ready and it was sent back to me by the "tenants lawyer. He asked that the lease be changed from "Tenants" to Occupants. And that the "Occupants" be listed as Managers from their corporation...

View more questions Search