Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rsvln123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2006, 11:12 AM
    Lease signed and not moved in
    Hi,
    I signed the leasing documents with an apartment on July 16'th for one year and the move in date was August 1'st.

I have a situation where I may have to go to my home country for sometime because of my fathers health condition and I am leaving on August 12'th. I am not sure of my return date. I have not moved into the apartment as of now. Since I have signed the leasing documents and have not moved into the apartment am I legally bounded to pay the rent/costs for it?

I spoke to the apartment office and they say I have to pay all the costs/rents for this until it is re rented. Is there a way I can avoid all these costs as I would want to stay with my family for some time and not loose money by paying rent for nothing?

Thanks for your time and help.

-Sant
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2006, 01:15 PM
    Hi Sant:

I refer you to the thread right before this one entitled, "Quick Question". There is a long and in depth discussion on this very topic. Yes, there are costs associated with your breach. How much, depends on your landlord/tenant laws, and the particular lease you entered.

Some states require 30 days notice which must be given on the day the rent is due. Today, being the 2nd, you've missed your opportunity to give notice this month, and have to wait till the 1st of September. Let's hope you're not in one of those states.

If you haven't paid them anything, then you have some leverage in making a deal that's not too painful. But of course, you did pay, and they have your money. It's they, then who have the leverage.

excon
    rsvln123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2006, 01:29 PM
    I haven't paid them any money except for the $100 deposit that I am ready to relinquish. I spoke to the leasing office and they said since I have signed the documents I am legally binded and responsible for the rents/costs until it is re rented or sub-leased.

I was supposed to pick up the keys yesterday and as soon as I got the message about my fathers health I went to them and explained the situation. I haven't picked up the keys and not moved in yet.

Thanks
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2006, 02:39 PM
    Hello again, Sant:

Since you signed a year’s lease, then I suggest that you're liable for rent until, as they said, they re-rent it. In most states, they are required to try to re-rent it as quickly as possible to lessen your losses. Depending on the rental market, that could be soon or not. You have a better handle on that than I would.

You've only given them $100. They want more from you, and that's where your leverage comes in. Clearly, you'll be difficult to sue, and just as difficult to collect from if they DO sue you. Given than your "home country" isn't the US, and you're headed back there, they may not hold out much hope of ever recovering anything more than the $100 they've already got.

Therefore, I suggest that they would be amenable to a cash offer TODAY. In a slow rental market, you could be on the hook for 2 maybe 3 months rent, or more. If you can, make an offer. If they accept, make sure you get it in writing.

Otherwise, you’re going owe a lot of money when you get back.

excon
    brooks Posts: 57, Reputation: 2

Aug 2, 2006, 04:52 PM
    Apartment managers have heard it all when it comes to renters changing their mind once they sign a lease. It is not likely that they believed you. Offer them 1.5 months rent They will probably settle to two. Get a written release from your contract. Chasing you around the country trying to collect is of little benefit and cash in hand is always best.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who keeps the orignal signed lease agreement [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a landlord(Lessor) of a rental property. The tenant/Lessee had asked for the original signed signature page of the lease agreement. Should I give them the orignal signed signature page or give them a photocopy of the signed signature page? Thanks in advanced.

Roommate's attempt to terminate co-signed lease [ 1 Answers ]

My roommate backed out of our co-signed lease two weeks before the lease's commencement. Can she force me to find or accept a subletter or is she still liable to pay her half the rent?

Co signed car loan and title [ 12 Answers ]

I cosigned on an auto loan with our daughter. The car title and loan are in both of our names. She is going to move out and has been unreliable in making payments. I have had to bail her out more than once. I want her to either get the loan and title in her name alone or turn in her car. She...

Real Estate Contract signed under duress [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I were considering purchasing a home but decided against it due to discovering some problems with the wastewater disposal system. A bit of a legal "dogfight" ensued after we tried to get released from the contract but the matter has finally been resolved. As a piece of sidebar...

I have moved on to SONGS! [ 6 Answers ]

This is an R&B song, from the mid to late 80's I believe. I've got 50.00 bucks coming if I can find the name of the group that sang a song called Tennis Anyone. I think it was one of those 'one hit wonder' type of groups. It was a slow song and here are some of the lyrics: Tennis anyone, tennis...

View more questions Search