Ask
    BEDFORD AVE Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2008, 01:15 PM
    Do deed restriction expire?
    Do deed restrictions ever expire?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Nov 20, 2008, 01:25 PM
    They expire only if the restriction contains a specific expiration date. Otherwise, no.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 20, 2008, 01:30 PM

In general no, some may have a date written in with them.
    Can you give us more details about this

Nov 20, 2008, 01:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    In general no, some may have a date written in with them.,
    Can you give us more details about this
    It does not have A date

Party A sold a property to party B and made some deed restrictions

After 30-40 years party B sold it to party C

Is party C still restricted from using his property by be the old restrictions?

Who can enforce it?
    Expert

Nov 20, 2008, 01:54 PM
    As long as the restrictions were contained in the deed then yes, party C is still restricted. Anyone who benefits from the restrictions are entitled to enforce them. For example, if the restriction says that a structure may not be built on the property more than 25 feet high then any neighbor may sue to enforce that restriction.

Courts are usually very liberal about allowing people to enforce the restrictions. If the restrictions have anything to do with the appearance or use of the property then just about anyone who can see the property will be entitled to enforce the restriction.

Nov 20, 2008, 03:26 PM

Thanks Lisa

Following is a quote from the deed restriction
    "and it is hereby mutually agreed by and between the said parties hereto that no carpenters shop shall be erected or put upon the said premises not any other buldinging or thing which in its nature shall be considered a nuisance or offensive to the neighborhood"

Does that mean that if the community don't want to have A very tall building or any other type of building it will not be permitted?
    Expert

Nov 20, 2008, 06:47 PM
    Not necessarily. A carpenter's shop is definitely not permitted. As for any other type of building, it depends on whether it would be considered a nuisance or offensive to the neighborhood. For example if it's a residential area then a barn or stable might be considered offensive.

Tell us what kind of building you want to put up and maybe we can give you a clearer answer.

Nov 21, 2008, 09:01 AM
    This is the situation

I am building A luxury condo high rise glass tower (20 floors) in a mainly middle income neighberhood, were the buildings are not above 7-8 floors

Community members are concerned that my project will raise their property tax and may eventually lead to the displacement of some long time area residents.

Can they stop me from going forward with my project?

The building is allredy in construction (reaching around 12 floors), and all permits are in place.
    Expert

Nov 21, 2008, 11:20 AM
    You'd better speak to a real estate attorney in your area who specializes in land use. They may be able to stop or at least delay your project.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does a Quit Claim Deed Expire? [ 2 Answers ]

Does a Quit Claim Deed expire if not recorded? If so, how soon after the document has been executed?

Failure to record deed restriction? Missouri [ 1 Answers ]

Several years ago I sold some acreage to a private party and the closing was held at a title company. The transaction was closed in 1999. According to the settlement statement, the title company was paid for all recording fees. (not itemized). The sales contract stated that I would be...

Does a bench warrant expire? [ 1 Answers ]

Does a bench warrant expire for misd. Charges? Also will it come up in another state if stopped if it's a misd. Charge?

How soon is the H1-B cap to expire? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been told by lawyers that the H1-B quota will expire the same day it is going to open i.e. April 2nd. I asked what if my application reaches on 3rd April. Will I not be able to meet the cap? Please help.:mad:

View more questions Search