Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LianaJo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2008, 04:03 PM
    Landlord is selling duplex, can we be forced to move before lease expires?
    Hello,

Our landlord is selling the duplex we're renting from him.

He says "the new owner would have to stick to the terms of our lease until it expires."

I was reviewing our lease, and this is what is says:

"Landlord demises the above premises for a term of one year commencing March 1st, 2008 and terminating March 31st, 2009 or sooner as provided herein at the monthly rental of $935 payable by the tenant on the first day of each month for the term of this lease."

What does "or sooner" mean?

I don't know if I'm being paranoid (I don't really trust my landlord these days), but that "or sooner" bit has me concerned.

Then later on in the lease it says: "At any time, Landlord may or may not choose to enforce any part of lease but does not allow that to be construed as acceptance or a waiver."

Now I Google'd rental leases. They are a dime a dozen, and available for free online for landlords to use. His lease looks like an exact copy from some of the Landlord Web Sites I've seen. But still...

It's bad enough this is a revolving door of people coming in/out of here, but I really am not prepared to move before March 2009.

I just want to be sure we're safe till March 2009.

Thanks everyone.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Sep 20, 2008, 07:01 AM

You should be safe until March '09. It's standard procedure that the leases passes on with the property and must be upheld by the new landlord. Not to give you something else to worry about, but you might just double check with the landlord and/or realtor that they know that they are to pass your security deposit on to the new buyer at closing. That way when you DO move out he has it to return to you.

One other thing to try to put your mind at ease... for the most part, people looking to buy a duplex are looking FOR rental property. If it's already up and running with a good tenant, so much better for them. Most buyers wouldn't want you going anywhere.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 20, 2008, 07:08 AM

Yes it does carry from seller to buyer. So it should be safe for you to remain in the lease.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2008, 07:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LianaJo View Post
    can we be forced to move before lease expires?
    Hello L:

No.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is the Landlord Breaking the Lease.CAN I MOVE? [ 12 Answers ]

I have spent two months at a new apartment complex. I have a 12 month lease and the landlord pays for water, trash, and sewer. My problem is that ever since I have moved here the landlord has turned off our water a total of 8 times for the duration of 3-6 hours. Once we were without water for 2...

Landlord selling house 4 months into 2 year lease [ 3 Answers ]

Do I have any legal rights? How long so I have before I have to physically move out ot the house? Do I still need to pay rent until I move out? He has partial last month and a cleaning deposit and he is about to turn the house over to the bank in foreclosure! I live in Arizona

Landlord selling property in midst of 2 year lease [ 10 Answers ]

So we entered into a 2 year lease (this was a renewed lease after having lived here for nearly a year) with our landlord here in Santa Clara County, California. This was in October of 06, so our lease is through October 2008, which is about 16 months from now. She recently (about 2 months...

Landlord selling leased home, can I ask them to buy me out of my lease to relocate? [ 2 Answers ]

I am 4 months into a 12 month Lease. The landlord seems to be under the impression I must leave when the house is sold. I would like to know my rights on asking them to buy me out of my lease so I can take the money to find another home for me and my family, of 4 children. The landlord called me...

View more questions Search