Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stevie__17 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2008, 07:23 AM
    Buyer defaults on land contract, someone else living there
    Sept. 1, 2005 my fiancé and I sold our house in Lexington, KY on a land contract. As of August 1, 2008 they have defaulted on the contract and said that they are going to file Chapter 7. I drove to Lexington and had him sign a document saying that he has terminated the contract, forfeits all prior payments (including $12k downpayment) and is to surrender the property immediately. Once I was in Lexington, I found out that the step-son is living in the house and has been since the beginning without a lease, but has been paying weekly rental payments. I need to get the house listed and get it sold, how do I go about getting the people living in the house out?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 28, 2008, 07:26 AM
    You will have to go through a formal eviction process. I would give the step-son a 10 day vacate notice with a copy of the forfeiture agreement. If he is still not out by then you have to obtain an eviction order from the local housing court.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2008, 10:42 AM
    The step son is going to have to be legally evicted, lease or no lease.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2008, 11:21 AM
    I agree. Evict. And do it quick!

Was the sale a contract for deed, or did you actually transfer the deed over to them and you're just carrying the note? Did you have an attorney involved? Now would be an excellent time to contact him or her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax implications of a contract for deed for buyer and seller [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. I am looking to purchase a primary residence on a contract for deed basis. My understanding is that I, as the purchaser, would be able to write off the interest I pay on my yearly taxes. My question is, can the seller continue to write off the interest he is paying on the mortgage he...

Down payment refund on a contract for deed that buyer did not follow through on [ 6 Answers ]

My husband and I sold a property to a lady who paid a little more than half of the required down payment. It was understood and she agreed to pay the remaining monies due, put the utilities in her name before August 15, 2008. The paper work was to have been finalizied August 18, 2008. I have...

Upon death of a seller in a real estate contract, how to get a buyer out of contract [ 23 Answers ]

In the state of Missouri, a seller in the middle of a sales contract died. The closing time is not yet lapsed and all the contingencies on the buyer side is fulfilled. There is will in place and an executor named for the estate already. The son (named executor) can not legally sign for the deceased...

Buyer wanting to sell house while in a Contract for Deed [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: I spent 2 months waiting for the buyer of my home to get his loan, then he wasn't approved. Now I'm 2 months behind on my mortgage, am facing the dreaded 90 past due (and foreclosure) without any time to get a new buyer to get money to the mortgage company. So I decided to do a...

Buyer Selling a home they have on Land Contract [ 4 Answers ]

I have a land Contract on the home we live in now. We are getting a new home. I have been told to sale the house we live in now. Pay off the Land Contract and keep the profit. Can you do this? How? Thanks

View more questions Search