Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    razanbrandy Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Jul 14, 2008, 07:49 PM
    Judgement lien against me
    I just received a judgement lien against me last week from a debt I aguired before I was married... today this debt collector totally wipe out my husband's checking account.. my name is also on this account... can they do this? I don't work, so it was his pay that was in the account... and is this going to be a daily, weekly or monthly thing... not sure what to do at this point..
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2008, 08:18 PM
    Notify the bank that it is a joint account and he is not the one that owes but it his money being deposited that they are taking out. And see about not having his money direct deposited so they can't get it.
    drslick Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2008, 08:41 PM
    States that protect retirement accounts from judgements
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2008, 09:23 PM
    It may not be too late to recover this money. What state?

Jul 15, 2008, 07:14 AM
    In tn

Jul 15, 2008, 08:30 AM
    As I stated before we live in TN, is there anyway of recovering what the attorny for the creditor took out of our checking account.. he totally wiped it out? Also, if I go bankrupt, will it stop judgements that are already in process?
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2008, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by razanbrandy
    as I stated before we live in TN, is there anyway of recovering what the attorny for the creditor took out of our checking account..he totally wiped it out?
    Has your husband received paperwork or notices as to which court is handling the garnishment or levy? You need to know which court to contact. If he hasn't received any notice, then the creditor may have a legal problem that will be to your benefit. If you know which court, call the clerk and ask whether it has received the funds and how long it will hold them before giving to the creditor.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 15, 2008, 08:37 AM
    We warned you in your previous thread to open a new account only in your husband's name. I guess you didn't pay attention.

You will have to file a motion to vacate the writ of attachment served on the bank on the grounds that the only money deposited in that account was your husband's income. You will have to prove that.

You need to immediately open another account in just your husband's name and start depositing his income to it.
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2008, 08:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by razanbrandy
    also, if I go bankrupt, will it stop judgements that are already in process?
    A bankruptcy filing 'stays' all collection activity by creditors. If you have judgements, you must file a motion within the bankruptcy proceeding to avoid the lien against your exempt property. It is a technical matter and you will need an attorney.

Jul 15, 2008, 10:12 AM
    I received the judgement lien letter which just stated that it was also sent to record of deeds office and that a property lien will be put against me... my husband did'nt receive any letter.. it is an attorny representing the creditor that is doing this... he even took his fee out of our account...

Jul 15, 2008, 10:13 AM
    I was going to close that account today, was just waiting for my landlord to cash her check.. and she had'nt cashed it before this attorny cleaned out our account

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lien judgement [ 28 Answers ]

I received a judgement with a lien against all property that was sent to the Register of Deeds.. I do not own a home at present.. I was married last year and this judgement is for a debt I had before my marriage.. how will this effect my husband's credit, his bank account, his wages and his being...

How to remove a Judgement Lien [ 2 Answers ]

I am a real estate agent with a seller client who must sell her home; she is divorced and her X signed a quit claim deed 2 years ago. Prior to the divorce being final and prior to the signing of the quit claim deed, her X had a judgement lien from Capital One recorded against the property. Capital...

Will I be sent official notice of judgement or lien against property ? [ 1 Answers ]

After being married 27 years , my husband walked out on me 1 year ago . I have managed to pay my mortgage and utilities but that was about it . I let 3 credit cards go and they have been turned over to collection agencies . I have now put my home up for sell but am afraid there might be a judgement...

Notification if a judgement lien is reissued in Michigan [ 24 Answers ]

I had a judgement lien that expired in November 2007. I'm trying to buy a house but the lien is still showing. Wouldn't I have been notified if the lien was reissued? I don't live in Michigan at this time, but they know how to get in touch with me. What is up with this?

Judgement not listed as lien [ 3 Answers ]

We are currently wanting to sell our house, we have a judgement on our credit rating, this judgement is currently under appeal and awaiting hearing. The judgement has never been registered as a lien against our home, or any property that we own, the mortgage broker we applied with has told us the...

View more questions Search