Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    razanbrandy Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Jul 10, 2008, 11:57 AM
    Lien judgement
    I received a judgement with a lien against all property that was sent to the Register of Deeds.. I do not own a home at present.. I was married last year and this judgement is for a debt I had before my marriage.. how will this effect my husband's credit, his bank account, his wages and his being able to purchase a home? We live in TN.. how will this judgement affect my personal property example a car and my bank account?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 12:31 PM
    Welcome to AMHD. The judgement shouldn't affect your husband, but if your name is on a checking account, it may be subject to your creditor's claim. Your separate personal property and bank account are at risk, as well.

Jul 10, 2008, 12:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by George_1950
    Welcome to AMHD. The judgement shouldn't affect your husband, but if your name is on a checking account, it may be subject to your creditor's claim. Your separate personal property and bank account are at risk, as well.
    So, I should close my bank account and just put it in my husband's name and should I put my car in my husband's name as well..
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 10, 2008, 12:43 PM
    It may be too late for that. If it can be determined that you tried to hide assets by transferring them you could be in trouble. Better to open a new account in just your husband's name.

Did you ever consider paying the debt?

Jul 10, 2008, 12:48 PM
    I don't have a job at the moment... taking care of my grandchild... will my husband be able to purchase a house?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 10, 2008, 12:49 PM
    In his own name, shouldn't be a problem

Jul 10, 2008, 12:50 PM
    So, you are telling me that I don't have a right to close out my own checking account.. it's not like there's a lot of money in there

Jul 10, 2008, 12:52 PM
    The judgement entered against me was forwarded to the Register of Deeds... not sure exactly what that means.. other then I could'nt buy a home and if I had one, there would be a lien against it
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 12:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by razanbrandy
    So, you are telling me that I don't have a right to close out my own checking account..it's not like there's alot of money in there
    I would close it.
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 12:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by razanbrandy
    the judgement entered against me was forwarded to the Register of Deeds...not sure exactly what that means..other then I could'nt buy a home and if I had one, there would be a lien against it
    If your husband purchased a home, and gave it to you in his will (and he predeceases you), and the judgement lien is in effect, your debt would have to be satisfied before you could transfer the property whether by deed or will.

Jul 10, 2008, 12:58 PM
    Do you know how long I have before they will possibly seize my checking account? I just received the judgement letter from an attorney today... and what should I do about the car that's in my name... I just paid it off and have'nt even received the title yet
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 01:05 PM
    Where I live, a judgement creditor can have the sheriff pick up a car with no liens, and the sheriff will sell it. You could borrow against it (again) or give it to your husband.

Jul 10, 2008, 01:15 PM
    Can they take my car even though I don't have the title yet.. supposedly it was lost and a new one will have to be issued.. also, when I do get the title can't I just put it in my husband's name by signing the title over to him?
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 02:46 PM
    I'm not certain about current procedure where you reside; in the past, a judgement creditor could check with the department of motor vehicles and run a name through the index. A report would be generated showing whether an auto had a lien or not. If there was no lien, the car could be towed and stored by the sheriff. The sheriff must advertise for four weeks before publicly auctioning the auto. Yes, you can transfer ownership whenever you wish, but it can be set aside if a creditor wants to go to that much trouble.

Jul 10, 2008, 03:10 PM
    OK.. I just called the credit union that had the lien and they have no idea where my title is and neither does the DMV... and I have'nt received a lien release yet.. I paid it off beginning of May... so maybe it won't show up as released yet

Jul 10, 2008, 03:11 PM
    I live in TN and the DMV told me that it was mistakely sent to Birmingham,AL and shredded..
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 03:21 PM
    If the creditor can prove that you have taken any steps to hide assets, you could have even bigger legal problems.

You really need to put as much effort into finding some employment so you can pay your obligations, as you are in to trying to avoid this creditor from getting what you owe them.

As George stated, it is true where I live as well, they don't have to put a lien on the vehicle.

If you own it, they can just tow it away and sell it, and apply the money towards the judgment.

While it is not as common as it used to be, it is still a legal option where I live.

Jul 10, 2008, 03:37 PM
    OK, I was just saying that I don't think the lien has been released on my car as of yet... and what legal problems would I have if the creditors thought I was trying to hide assests?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2008, 03:41 PM
    The term fraud comes to mind.

Having already escaped from the original obligation, now that the creditor has an enforceable judgment, you decide to hide or transfer assets, to "continue" to prevent him from collecting what you legally owe them.

Yeah, I'm fairly confident that it could very well be considered fraud.

Jul 10, 2008, 03:53 PM
    I need my car in order to get a job to even start to pay this debt

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to remove a Judgement Lien [ 2 Answers ]

I am a real estate agent with a seller client who must sell her home; she is divorced and her X signed a quit claim deed 2 years ago. Prior to the divorce being final and prior to the signing of the quit claim deed, her X had a judgement lien from Capital One recorded against the property. Capital...

Lien on Real Property with Abstract of Judgement [ 1 Answers ]

In California, an Abstract of Judgement was filed over 10 years ago. I recently found a lien on my Real Property. Can a lien be filed on Real Property with just an Abstract of Judgement?

Will I be sent official notice of judgement or lien against property ? [ 1 Answers ]

After being married 27 years , my husband walked out on me 1 year ago . I have managed to pay my mortgage and utilities but that was about it . I let 3 credit cards go and they have been turned over to collection agencies . I have now put my home up for sell but am afraid there might be a judgement...

Notification if a judgement lien is reissued in Michigan [ 24 Answers ]

I had a judgement lien that expired in November 2007. I'm trying to buy a house but the lien is still showing. Wouldn't I have been notified if the lien was reissued? I don't live in Michigan at this time, but they know how to get in touch with me. What is up with this?

Judgement not listed as lien [ 3 Answers ]

We are currently wanting to sell our house, we have a judgement on our credit rating, this judgement is currently under appeal and awaiting hearing. The judgement has never been registered as a lien against our home, or any property that we own, the mortgage broker we applied with has told us the...

View more questions Search