Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krogers45 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2006, 11:00 AM
    Breaking a lease due to medical reasons
    I am asking this for a friend, she has a special needs daughter (diabetic, bipolar, mildly mentally disabled, and has a lot of psychological problems from sexual and physical abuse from the time she was born until she was 2 and my friend got custody) When they moved into their apartment, she was told that they only had a 2 bedroom unit with a den available, but she would be number 3 on a waiting list for the first 3 bedroom available so that her two girls and one boy aren't sharing a room especially since it's not conducive to her disabled daughters condition. Since she has moved in she was told that she would have to live there a year before she was even eligible to move into a 3 bedroom. Her daughters condition is getting worse, she is stealing food in the middle of the night, and she certainly can't lock all three kids in the "bunk room" at night because of bathroom needs, she normally would put an alarm on her daughters door so that they know if she is wandering. But her other two children get up to use the bathroom at night and the alarm wakes up the entire house, which is not condusive to anyone's health! She has letters from her daughter's therapist saying that she can no longer share a room with the other children, for fear of their safety and due to her diabetic needs and issues. Would this give her enough medical reason under the Fair Housing Act to negate her lease?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 26, 2006, 11:07 AM
    Of course ideally she should not have agreed to a long term lease or even accepted an apartment that was not correct to start with.

This would be the hardest part to explain to the judge as to why after
    (how many months) that the apartment was OK, but now is not.
    Can they show with medical records that this illness has progressed a lot worst over this period.

Next I would address the issue of being on the waiting list. Who told them they were on the list, do they have this in writing.

I would look more at breach of contract on the apartment owner by refusal keep this agreement. Is a larger apartment the correct size coming up??

Next in the end, who cares if they break the lease or not, if for the safety and well being of your children you have to move, then give a notice, and move. Let the legal issues fall where they will.

You can defend yourself if the apartment owner sues but you can not let a lease effect your choice on the well being of your family.
    krogers45 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2006, 11:44 AM
    They are definitely moving, but wanted to see if they had enough evidence to get out of the lease without legal reprocussions. I have advised her to talk to JAG since they are military. Thank you for you help!
    sandybrunette Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2013, 08:35 AM
    I was recently dianosed with cancer. I have ne medical leave or insurance therefore no income will be coming in to cover rent. UI will pay me between 44% and 50% of my wages. I'm lucky to clear $450. Per mth. I wish to reside with son. It is my only option. I wanting to give 1 months notice. Is there anyway I can
    Achieve this. Please help
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2013, 08:48 AM
    You put your request to be let out of the lease in writing. Expect to have to pay until a new tenant is found - if the landlord is sympathetic and agrees to let you out of the lease.

I know it's unfair but legally this is an "inability to pay" matter and the landlord does not have to let you out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking a lease in NJ due to job required move [ 15 Answers ]

I started a lease in Hackensack, NJ in May 2006. My job then required me to move to MD in August 2006. The lease had no cancellation clause and I am required to continue paying rent until the apartment is re-rented (a re-rental fee was required) or until my lease runs out. Is there a provision...

Terms of Breaking a Lease [ 6 Answers ]

I need to break my lease in Florida. My lease if for 1 year. In my lease it doesn't specify what is done when a lease is broken. It does say that it follows Florida Statute Chapter 83 section II for everything not covered in the lease. I read through the chapter and it doesn't say what happens when...

Breaking lease [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Maine and have signed a 1 year lease. My husband and I were able to purchase a home, so obviously we will be moving out. I heard somewhere that once you have fulfilled a 1 year commitment, it doesn't matter if your landlord has you re-sign a lease, you are month to month. I haven't been...

Breaking a Lease [ 3 Answers ]

Two weeks ago I went and put a $75 deposit down on an apartment and signed a lease. The apartment wasn't supposed to be ready until Sept 26th. I got a call on Aug 30th stating the apartment was ready, but the very next day, situations arose that are going to keep me from renting the apartment. I...

View more questions Search