Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tacopereira Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2006, 08:21 AM
    Tenants eviction..
    Hello all,
    I have a two family house in East Boston, MA. Both tenants have had a hard time paying the rent. Unfortunately I have become their friend ( big mistake ). I have given one of them an eviction notice (14 day ) but he now has given me this months rental amount ( still owes me about $5000. ) I am planning on selling the house in the spring and don't know if it is worth evicting him right now or just keeping him there as long as he pays me the minimum monthly rental amount. My main question is should I have him sign something stating that the eviction will continue if he does not pay the minimum rental amount monthly? Is that legal? Do I have to start a new 14 day notice every month?
    I appreciate any advice. Thank you.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2006, 08:28 AM
    Hi,
    You may have to check with a lawyer about this, but in my own opinion (I am not a lawyer nor a Professional in Rental Properties), I would evict them. The eviction notice means that they cannot pay the rent, and the $5000 in back rent is "rent".
    This one payment was probably because they received your eviction notice! If they wanted to stay there, and could afford it, they would have paid all the money owed you. They cant' afford it, and you will be losing money every month. If you decide to sell the house this spring, there is no guarantee that it will happen as fast as you might like. It could take months, but hopefully not.
    I do wish you the best of luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 23, 2006, 12:46 PM
    I would say that if:

They are good clean renters, and make the property look better by their upkeep, they would be a benefit in having them in your proper.
    If they make a mess, have or make the space look bad, you may get more money without them there.

Next of course if you are selling for it to someone else for rental property, and they want to see your books, and you are honest, they can be a liablity.
    If you are selling it and they don't want to see your books then it looks like it is rented and money making property.

And in the end, if you are going to do a lot of maintaince on the property to get a better selling price, painting, carpet, bathroom or kitchen repair it is easier without them there.

And honestly since you have been letting them not pay the entire balance after you started with the notices, you need a good real estate attorney in your area to answer if you can or can't since you have set a past practice of acceptance at this point and not followed though with your actoins after starting them

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenants won't move out [ 4 Answers ]

I am the landlord of a house where renters moved in on August 1st of 2005. I had spoken to them in early July and they voiced their intention to stay until May- a 9 month lease. Their lease ended on July 31st, at which time they left town for the entire month to avoid resigning. When I was finally...

Tenants rights [ 4 Answers ]

Can a mobile home park owner tell a person what color he/she can paint their shed and give them a year to do this or they have to move? And is it legal for this owner to put water meters on each of the trailors and charge the tenants a certain amount for their water without it being in the tenants...

Tenants won't move [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my question is I sold my home the closing is in a week I am ready to move but my tenants won't they think the new owner will let them stay. I believe the new owner is going to gut the house. I told them in march I was sellling I also gave them a letter aug 11th of this year that they have to be...

Kentucky eviction law motion for eviction [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I really need help I bought a house for 30,000 from a lady we have just a one simple page contract basically states I paid 15000.00 dollars down In April 05' and then make payments of 400.00 a month for 36 months Contract has no sell as is in it because at time of sale we the lady homeowner...

My mother and I, joint tenants & bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

I recently learned that my 71 year old mother (who hasn't worked since 1964) has accumulated around $12,000.00 in credit card debt. 4 major credit cards. Approx. $3000.00 per card. We live together and own the home together. Joint tenants with right of survivorship. The home is paid for. I pay the...

View more questions Search