Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    knuckles52 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2008, 09:37 AM
    Holding promisory note for buyer behind 1st mortgage
    If buyer defaults on my promissory note.What is my recourse since I am 2nd behind the 1st mortgage?I am asking from the sunny state of Florida.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2008, 01:40 PM
    Does your note allow you to accelerate and demand payment of all principal? Are you holding a second mortgage? You can elect between suing for each payment in default or demand the payment of all principal and interest owed to you. Also, you could contact the first mortgage holder and offer to purchase the note and mortgage; then you will hold the first and second, and you can foreclose and get the house back.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 1, 2008, 04:51 PM
    Are they also in default in the first mortgage ? Often if the home forcloses, the second mortgage holder gets nothing. What does the terms in your loan agreement allow you to do ?

This is why if you are the seller and are going to hold a second, it should never be more than you are willing to risk to lose

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Holding a mortgage [ 4 Answers ]

I purchased a home recently in Upstate New York. The house is in good shape, insured. I touched it up and put it up for sale, everything works. My agent found a buyer who wants to purchase the house if I hold the mortgage. 10 pct down. Monthly payments, with a balloon payment (the balance due plus...

Holding a Mortgage for someone. [ 2 Answers ]

We were in the process of putting our house on the market when I ran into a friend (more an aquaintance)... she & her family are looking to get out of their rental and buy something but they cannot go through a bank for a loan due to their religion. They do have a very large amount to give as a...

Collecting a promisory note [ 2 Answers ]

My mother before she died this past week was holding a promissory note as part of the unfinanced portion of the sale of her home. I am also listed on the note. The buyer is 3 months in default and will not return calls. How should I proceed? The balance is only $700.00 but I don't feel as though I...

Promisory Note [ 1 Answers ]

I have a promisory note from an individual who just declared bankruptcy. A letter was sent to me from a law firm and I was listed in it along with various other victims. What are my options if any? How can I make the best out of this with my tax return? Anything else?

View more questions Search