Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tallen12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 12:59 PM
    How to get property in my name
    Both owners are deceased, no will. Can I pay back taxes and have property deeded in my name.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2008, 01:52 PM
    Probably not; an heir, or possibly a creditor, will have to go to the local probate court.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 10, 2008, 02:26 PM
    No, if both owners are dead, and there is no written will, then their next of kin, children, or brothers and sisters, or newphew or cousins, will have the right to inherit based on the state law.

Next no you can never merely pay the back taxes on deed it into your name. If the property taxes go unpaid for a couple of years, the county will sell it at auction. They have auctions once a year on all property that are behind in their taxes. So the highest bidder will get the property, the bid starts at the tax due.

After that there are varioius rules in states, in some the day of the sale you get a deed, in others there are one to three year waiting periods called redemtpoin periods where the previous owners * or their heris) have the right to redeem the property.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 02:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tallen12
    both owners are deceased, no will. Can i pay back taxes and have property deeded in my name.

Are you a relative entitled to receive when there is no Will?

Otherwise - no.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Property Taxes on Property sold for estate settlement. [ 1 Answers ]

We have sold property in Indiana that will be part of and estate settlement. The property sold for less than $100,000. The money from this property will be divided between the 6 children. What taxes will be owed for the sale of this property?

Property taxes on inherited property [ 1 Answers ]

When daughter inherits home from parent and moves into the home, is there an adjustment to the property tax base in California? Currently taxes are extremely low but house has increased in value since purchase 40 years ago. House is held by trust.

Property [ 1 Answers ]

How does my husband add my name to property

Property taxes/lien on property [ 2 Answers ]

We have been taking care of the rental properties across the street from us for many years as the landlord lives in Arkansas. We have never been paid for these services. We repair and maintain these properties, and the last tenants we even collected the rent and deposited into the landlord’s...

Property [ 5 Answers ]

I came across a deal in PA which I'm not sure about. The gentleman is about to go belly up and the bank is ready to take the property. He had govt. grants which help him out with the mortgage. The realtor said I could simply take over he's mortgage (under his name) but have the title (ownership) of...

View more questions Search