Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Dec 22, 2007, 05:08 PM
    Forced to be a security guard.
    I do maintenance work for an apartment community in Indiana.

Recently, with the growing crime, the company has given the maintenance the opportunity to get over-time by patroling the property after hours.

A rumor has surfaced that they may make us do this. I, of course, will not do this. My question is, is a company legally able to make employees do this? To potentially put their lives in danger?

Thanks,

XenoSapien
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Dec 22, 2007, 05:39 PM
    Was it in the original job description? What does the employee handbook say about this type of situation. For example, I used to work at an apartment complex with the same problem. They asked us to volunteer for the "security" job, but they were pushing it really hard. I went and looked in the employee handbook, and it mentioned that the job had to stay the same as the job description in the handbook, unless they either changed the handbook or the employee voluntarily did different work. I mentioned that to my boss, and she backed off. I too didn't want to be the "policeman" of the apartment complex. I didn't like the idea of being there alone at night. Good luck.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2007, 06:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by XenoSapien
    is a company legally able to make employees do this? To potentially put their lives in danger?
    Hello xeno:

If you're an "at will" employee, and you probably are, your employer can change anything about your job that he feels like, including firing you for no reason.

So, the answer to your question is yes. You, of course, are free to negotiate a higher salary for the additional risk.

excon
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42

Dec 22, 2007, 08:17 PM
    I definitely will ask for more money for that extra service: like, quadruple my rate of pay. If I am forced to do a job that I am in no way prepared for, nor officially equipped to conduct, nor accepted by the city as an official "policing" professional, then I will not comply.

I am a "Mr. Fix-It", and I do this job well. I will do what my job requires without question. But I will not conduct behavior outside of what my job is. I fix stuff. I am not a licensed police officer.

Thanks for the advice, excon, because if the company makes me do this task, I will have an attorney negotiate a profoundly higher rate of pay for me to do this additional service, or I will quit.

XenoSapien
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 22, 2007, 10:09 PM
    Well as for the more money, normally a good maintenance worker will be making more than a security guard at an apartmnent complex. So I doubt it will increase your income on the hourly basis.

And unless you are union or unless you have a writtne contract, of course theyc an come in tomorrow and say poof you are now a security guard, and you can do it or quit. That is simple enough.

A company can change you pay rate, your benefits, your job duty and more anytime they want unless you have a contract

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Security Guard Agency [ 3 Answers ]

I was approached by a fellow that is a licensed private investigator in the state of Florida. We were discussing ways of "making money". He asked me if I thought I could run a security guard agency. He would provide the funding for me. Of course I said yes... research later. One hump I haven't...

How to be a better shotting guard? [ 4 Answers ]

Can any one help? I want to be a shooting guard but I some times I can't score. Can you have any ideas to help me to be better and score more?

Best guard dog [ 7 Answers ]

Hi... I want to get a best guarding dog for my house, which will be the best

I Let My Guard Down And Now I'm Upset [ 21 Answers ]

I Just Recently Had Sex After Not Having It For A While. Well Its Almost Been Two Weeks And I Really Have Been Thinking That All He Did Was Use Me. And Im Sure He Did Cause Guys Say Anything To Get Laid. But You Know How When Your Drunk And The Truth Comes Out Of People. Well That's Kind of What...

View more questions Search