Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krysandalex Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2007, 07:27 PM
    Roommates not paying rent.
    Me and my girlfriend had a couple move in with us. We do not get along at all and it was decided around a week (nov.24) ago that they were going to move out. We found another person to move in and take over the rest of the lease. This person can't move in till mid January. They promised us to pay decembers rent. Today I found out that they are not going to pay decembers full rent and they are not paying januarys portino either! Is there anything I can do?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2007, 07:33 PM
    Do you have a signed agreement?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 27, 2007, 07:35 PM
    You can demand payment, and if no payment received take them to housing court to evict them
    krysandalex Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2007, 09:02 PM
    To clarify for my boyfriend a bit, all four of us signed a contract with our apartment complex in August. Our roommates cannot legally leave the apartment without us giving our consent (signatures) with the complex. After all agreeing that the living situation was not working out, they decided to look for a new place. (This initial conversation took place on Nov 20 - a week ago) All my boyfriend and I asked for was adequate notice, which we specified was at least one month. We came to an agreement (verbally) that they would be responsible for Decembers full rent and they were welcome to stay up until Jan 1st. Our new roommate can't move in until Jan 15th so we decided to pay the cost for having the apartment to ourselves for 15 days in Jan. Now 4 days before Decembers rent is due, they want to leave by December 1st and can't come up with full rent! What can we do? Can we take them to small claims court for this? Can we have the apartment complex manager help us in anyway?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, we are very frustrated with the lack of maturity of our roommates and we just want it resolved in a orderly manner.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How To Split Rent With Roommates! [ 1 Answers ]

I'm about to get a place with 3 other people, the rent will be $1200 not including utilities and such. Now as I understand some people like to just split rent among people, which is unfair in the case of room sizes such as the master bedroom. I understand how all other bills will be divided equally...

Tenant not paying rent with new owner [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, When I sell a rental property and tenant decides not to pay the rent with new owner, am I in risk for any type of lawsuit by new owner? Thanks in advance, Bo

Four roommates, Rent Obligation of 2 Who Stay [ 5 Answers ]

After fulfilling our year lease, my three roommates and I are on a month to month rental agreement. The term of our lease is from the 1st through the last day of the month, and we pay our landlord on the 1st. Two roommates are moving out on August 11th. They believe they are only obligated...

Eviction and still paying rent? [ 1 Answers ]

My friend is living in a crappy apartment that she is to pay 650 dollars a month for. Her and her exboyfriend are on the lease but he doesn't pay his half of rent. The landlord told her that if she payed 325 of it she could just move out. Now she is saying that she is going to evict her and she is...

Sister-in-law Not Paying Rent [ 10 Answers ]

Help! My sister-in-law rents from us at our salon and she is behind two months in rent. When she started renting from us about 1 year ago, she agreed to pay rent. She only works one day a week and we gave her the first 2 months rent free to help her get on her feet. When we asked for rent on...

View more questions Search