Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2007, 10:26 AM
    Bad Bad Neighbors
    My sister lives in a major city. Her apartment is on the third floor of brownstone type building. Her and her husband love the place and their landlord; but not the tenants that live downstairs.

It seems that when they get drinking the boyfriend gets violent. The other day my sister and her husband woke up to screaming and banging from the apartment below. She said it went on for about 10 minutes and then another voice could be heard and all was silent. The following day my sister's landlord called her into the apartment on the second floor to show her the damage. The boyfriend had put his fist through the wall, hit a stud and some metal (?) causing him to bleed. There was blood all over the floor, lamps were broken. Pretty bad I guess. The landlord asked my sister to please knock on their door the next time it gets loud to ask them to quiet down. His hope is that it would save the apartment from such destruction. She told him that she did not feel comfortable doing that. But she offered to call 911. I guess her landlord had a fit because he did not want the cops at his building.

I told her that she needs to call 911 and stay away from the apartment, the last thing she needs is to get hurt. Do you think I am right in telling her this? What else can she do? Can the landlord kick her out for calling 911 instead of doing what he wants?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2007, 10:41 AM
    It would be better if he kicks them out before it gets to the point he feels like kicking your sister out. Makes more sense too.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 8, 2007, 10:46 AM
    They shouldn't face any persecution for calling 911.

And the police shouldn't tell the landlord who called in the complaint!

Personally, I'd call the police way before I went to confront the situation. It doesn't make sense to put myself in harms way when that's what the police are trained and paid to do!
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2007, 10:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    They shouldn't face any persecution for calling 911.

And the police shouldn't tell the landlord who called in the complaint!

Personally, I'd call the police way before I went to confront the situation. It doesn't make sense to put myself in harms way when that's what the police are trained and paid to do!
    My thoughts exactly. My sister was just worried that the landlord could kick them out if she did call 911.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 8, 2007, 10:54 AM
    I think the landlord would have more to worry about if he did evict them for calling!
    And if the cops told him who called, they may be in trouble, too!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 8, 2007, 05:24 PM
    Tus dear, you did the right thing. The landlord is off his ROCKER asking her to knock on the door and risk harm to herself as well.

Call 911 period!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 8, 2007, 05:48 PM
    And with such a noise why was the police not called the first time. Remember fist though wall today, could be gun going off tomorrorw, and that flooring is not going to stop a lot of the bullets now away. We had a bullet go though a outside wall and 3 inside wall beforer it finally hit a book shelf and stopped.
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2007, 06:29 AM
    Holy Cow Fr. Chuck that is scary. We told her that she needs to call 911 regardless. Her husband is not home very often because he is a resident at a hospital in the city, so it is often just her. My mom is a nervous wreak, but hopfully one call to 911 and things will get better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bad dreams lead to a bad relationship? [ 5 Answers ]

Hey lately I have had 4 bad dreams about me and my boyfriend and all have been about betrayal .(him cheating or doing something behind my back) I have talked to him about it cause it puts me in a bad mood and he gets upset because he feels as if I believe my dreams are true I asked him if he's...

What can I do about bad neighbors with vicious dog? [ 6 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I bought our townhouse a little over a year ago. About three months ago we had some neighbors move in with a mean pit bull. We share a driveway with them. They do not own their portion, they rent. Anyway, they chain the pit up between our two houses. I can barely get into my...

Bad bad dogg [ 3 Answers ]

OK,. I don't know what I did.My dog use to be nice,kind and always wanting to be next to me. But know these couple of days he has tried to bite me, and he growls at me when I enter to each room. He also doesn't even want me to carry him. If I do try to carry him he asks like he is going to bite me....

Bad clusters and bad blocks [ 1 Answers ]

When I do the chkdsk on WDC and it says windows replaced the bad clusters Why does Stellar Smart say there's 3 bad blocks? Didn't chkdsk clear it? The PC says no bad sectors

Bad luck, bad karma, or bad self-esteem? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently heard once again a comment I've heard many, MANY times over the past several years: "You and your husband have worse luck than anyone else I know!" and I have one question: "Why is that?" You see, just about the time we get to the point we can manage to keep up on all our monthly...

View more questions Search