Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnboston Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2007, 12:36 PM
    Motion for Summary Judgment due to credit debt
    In 2005 I ran into severe financial trouble, causing majority of my debts to go to collections. Unfortunately, many are still there. Spring of 2007 I received a summons for a court appearance because of a judgment that had been filed to my county court on behalf of the credit card company for the original amount of $895 plus legal fees and interest totaling $1,413.96.(the papers were served to my mother not me. Is that legitimate? )

I wrote my answer to court as a dispute without refusal to pay the debt and request to the law firm which served the papers to verify the debt within 30 days. Nearly 6 months later (dated Sep 2007, received October 15, 2007), I received the verification in the form of my billing statements. Ten days later, October 25, I received via mail a "Motion for Summary Judgment" with "Memorandum of points and authorities in support of plaintiffs motion" But nothing really says what I am to do now, besides stating that the "defendant cannot rest on the allegations of his answer, but must file a response to the motion for summary judgment.

I am not refusing to pay the debt. I made that clear to the creditor. However, they only would take a full lump sum payment. I have gone back to college to get my degree and now a senior living off financial aid and a scholarship, which leaves me nothing left over. But if this judgment is granted it can severely inhibit me when looking for a career when I graduate and for entrance into graduate school.

What are my options here? Can I go back to the original creditor and try to negotiate with them to pull back the lawyers? Can I fight it in court with any chance of winning? Or any other advice would be extremely helpful.

Thank you

Check out some similar questions!

Motion filed about Credit Card Debt [ 2 Answers ]

I got a call today informing me that a credit card company has filed a motion against my husband for an outstanding debt owed on a best buy card which never received a single payment. This took place when we were separated. I had nothing to do with it, did not co-sign for anything, and did not...

Motion for summary judgement/debt cllctn [ 1 Answers ]

How do I respond to a "Plaintiff's Motion for Summary Judgment" which has been filed against me in Texas? I do not have an attorney, but I have been responding to all papers from the collection agency's lawyer and the court as best I can.

Credit card debt judgment [ 1 Answers ]

I am being sued by a credit card companyand I plan to let then have a judgment by default. I am to appear in 10 days to answer, but do not plan to do so. When my husband died, I was willed his interest in property owned by his family. I transferred ownership of my ineterest in the family...

Judgment possibilities on credit card debt? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I lost my job several years ago, had some medical issues and stopped making my credit card payments and have not as yet been able to catch up on my debts. I am being sued by a credit card company for $1400 not a lot of money, but much more than I have. I have a summons to appear in court...

Need motion in opposition to defendants motion for summary judgement & TO STOP Thief [ 5 Answers ]

Good day all,received a motion in the mail "plaintiff's motion for default judgement as to defendents xxxxxx,xxxxxx,xxxxxx, and judgement on the pledings as to defendant xxxxxxx (state gov agency that sold the tax deed ) this case is about a overlooked tax lein sold against my grandmothers house ...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.