Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tamieko2 Posts: 62, Reputation: 0

Oct 26, 2007, 11:57 AM
    Can he make me leave?
    My husband of 10 yrs. Is refusing to support the family, he has a job and I do not. He says he wants his name off our joint bank account and will not pay any bills unless they are all in his name. I have been the sole bill payer of the family for 11 yrs. We have 2 kids and my nephew living with us. My daughter is his my son is from a previos marriage. I only get 438.00 a month in child support but my ex is 2 weeks late on that, I have to get plates on my car renewed and the gas is due, all the bills have always been up to date I have never been late on anything. He spends money frivolsly he spent 12.00 on candy bars and soda. He came home for lunch today and screamed at me the whole time, it has been bad for a while. He said if he cheated on me he would leave and now he called to tell me he won't be home, I have no money and now he won't come home? This house is in his name, his dad bought it for us 5 yrs. Ago but put the deed in only his name, I take care of it not him, I just want to know if he can kick me and the kids out?
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Oct 26, 2007, 12:23 PM
    Quick question: how do you pay the bills if he's the one with the job?
    Another thing: if he says he's not coming home then is that so bad, you're in the house right so does he mean the home your in or what??

Sorry I'm kind of confused so here's some advice on what I can understand.

He sounds like a real piece of work. I'd be suspicious if I were you, especially if he just started telling you to take his name off the bank account. However, if his name's not on the bank account he can't take money out if that helps any. Why aren't the bills in his name? Shouldn't both of your names be on the bills?
    You need to talk to your husband about the financial problems that you're both having. Especially if it is breaking your marriage up.
    If he's going to leave you hurry and take his name off the bank account so you have some money. Furthermore, you need to get a job. Sure you have kids, but you can't support them without one. Try to save as much money as possible and don't look back if you decide to leave him before he leaves you.
    Personally I'd get out of that relationship as fast as possible, divorce him and take him to court for the house and custody of your kids. If you get custody of the kids and fight your case right you may not get the house, but he'll have to give you part of his paycheck as part of the divorce settlement and you won't have to pay bills on the house.

As for your question it depends on a lot of things, if you leave him, if he leave you, the age of the kids, both of your financial status... the list goes on.
    Good Luck!
    tamieko2 Posts: 62, Reputation: 0

Oct 26, 2007, 02:02 PM
    I am in the house he was giving me his checks to pay the bills I handled all the money. He did not want me to work because he said I had to take care of the house and the kids & he says it gets neglected if I am working. The kids are 15,14 and 9. his name is not on the bills because he wanted it that way until now.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2007, 07:28 AM
    Tamieko, it is now time to consult with a divorce attorney. Speak with friends, neighbors,. whoever you know that you can trust not to tell your husband, and get the name of someone. If you don't have anyone to confide in, pick up your regional yellow pages and look in the index for Community Resources/Helpful Numbers. There should be a listing in that section for Domestic Violence. I am not saying that your husband has been violent (although it sounds as if he is being verbally abusive) the resource you need is under that section. There should be a phone number for Legal Assistance and/or WISE (Women's Information Services). Call the number and make an appointment to speak with someone. You need some help figuring out what your legals options are and you need someone to help you with the emotional support to get you through this.
    lobrobster Posts: 208, Reputation: 26

Oct 31, 2007, 06:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tamieko2
    my husband of 10 yrs. is refusing to support the family, he has a job and i do not. he says he wants his name off our joint bank account and will not pay any bills unless they are all in his name. i have been the sole bill payer of the family for 11 yrs. we have 2 kids and my nephew living with us. my daughter is his my son is from a previos marriage. i only get 438.00 a month in child support but my ex is 2 weeks late on that, i have to get plates on my car renewed and the gas is due, all the bills have always been up to date i have never been late on anything. he spends money frivolsly he spent 12.00 on candy bars and soda. he came home for lunch today and screamed at me the whole time, it has been bad for a while. he said if he cheated on me he would leave and now he called to tell me he wont be home, i have no money and now he wont come home? this house is in his name, his dad bought it for us 5 yrs. ago but put the deed in only his name, i take care of it not him, i just want to know if he can kick me and the kids out?
    The best advice anyone can give you at this point is to consult a divorce attorney! Please do so ASAP for both you and your kid's sake.

It is almost impossible to give you prudent advice here, without knowing many more details. I can assure you of this however... You DO have rights! And no... He can't just walk away that easy leaving you and the kids homeless without any means. That much is a fact. Get a good attorney today!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Ex Will NOT Leave Me Alone! [ 15 Answers ]

Well, I was in a serious relationship for 2 1/2 years. He cheated on me, and abused me mentally. So I let him go. I mean, seriously no woman needs to be treated in ways such as these. Now, he will not leave me alone. He's getting to the point where he's scaring the hell out of me. He shows up...

Why can't I leave [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, I'm new to this site, so please bare with me! I just turned 25, I have a 5 1\2 year old and 3 1\2 year old twins, I have been with my husband for going on 8 years and have been married almost 4. My husband is super, insecure, super controlling, and lately super psycho! Over the past year he...

Should I just let my friend make his mistake and leave him alone? [ 7 Answers ]

I have this guy friend that's a few years older than me. He recently just got back with his girlfriend who had cheated on him. This girl has done nothing while they were together but cause him misery and treat him like dirt. Me and his other friends are trying to tell him he's making a huge mistake...

How to make my exboy friend leave my home. I live in Tennessee [ 2 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend and I lived together for 4 years. He has never paid rent but has paid half of the bills. I know longer want him in my house. I have asked him to leave but he just laughs. The house and land belong to me. I want him out now. He also raises fighting roosters and I want them off my...

View more questions Search