Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jarv11 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2007, 10:48 AM
    Fee vs raising the rent
    In Kentucky, is the only way a landlord can increase their income to raise the rent?

Can a month-to-month tenant be charged a single flat fee rather than raising the rent?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 21, 2007, 10:51 AM
    A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet.

What type of fee? Depending on the type of dwelling it MIGHT be possible to pass along the cost of an improvement as a one time fee.

Sep 21, 2007, 11:42 AM
    To your point, they have a lot of construction going on...

They are calling it a "month to month status fee".
    It was originally 188.00 the next month it's 117.50, it is always in the context of "or renew your lease" with a late fees or eviction threat.

All this makes me think it's shady, are they within their rights?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 21, 2007, 12:03 PM
    Well now this is an interesting point. On a month to month lease, then could in effect, raise the rent each month unless there are laws about the frequency of raising the rent.

When the lease expired they were allowed to raise the rent. But to charge a variable monthly fee to initimidate you to sign a new lease does seem shady. Is there a housing board that covers you area you can report this to?

Sep 21, 2007, 01:35 PM
    I live in Louisville, and there is something called the Kentucky Housing Corp. Seems more like a HUD branch than a housing board (or is that the same thing?)

Again, shady - coercive, but probably legal?
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 02:11 PM
    Jarv, I cannot speak specifically about Kentucky law. I'm in TX and have also owned property in Iowa, Illinois and Nebraska. In all 4 of those states it is legal, and fairly common, for landlords to charge tenants a monthly fee for the privilege of continuing their tenancy on a month-to-month basis. I've even seen lease forms that have a spot designated for such a charge. It seems odd that the fee would change from one month to the next, and I'm used to the fee being more like $40 - $60, not over $100. As you noted... shady, coersive, but probably legal.

HTH
    Karla in TX
    P.S. As I think about it, I believe I've only seen larger apartment complexes/management companies charge such fees. FYI.

They must really want you locked in a lease.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who's raising the children and why? [ 19 Answers ]

Manabo's question https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/ethics/do-you-think-society-has-gotten-stupider-26589.html has brought me to another question. What are your beliefs on who raises your children? -who has primary care over the children -who's morals are our children growing up with -why are...

Raising in Arizona [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone knew the name of the song in Raising in Arizona when Felicity is telling Noel about Ben getting Lauren pregnant and Ben walks in on them. Thanks so much:)

Raising rent [ 3 Answers ]

In California, is there any limit as to how much a landlord can raise the rent and how much advance notice must the tenant be given?

Sikhism on raising children? [ 1 Answers ]

Would someone please give me some information about how Sikhs raise their children. It's for my religion project. Thanks:)

Rent Payment Late Fee [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know where I can find out if Pennsylvania has defined how much of a late fee can be charged per month for someone who has not paid the rent on time? My lot rent is 234/month and the late fee is $5/day, which adds up to 150/month, more than 1/2 of my rent. The fair housing authority says...

View more questions Search