Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashhhleyy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2007, 09:54 PM
    How 'life threatening' are ulcers
    I have had an ulcer since I was 14 I am now 18 years old. My ulcer is obvousily getting worse over there years. For a couple weeks, ill throw up blood and then it'll just stop but I still have pain in my stomach each and everyday. None of the medicane had helped. I just want to know how 'life threatening' is it. & how long is to long to wait for a cure?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2007, 06:36 AM
    Some ulcers can advance to the point where they are life threatening. What concerns me is that you are coughing up blood. You should go back to your doctor and ask to see a gastroenterologist. You need to be checked for the bleeding as well as any other damage the ulcer has produced. You may need a different medication. Have you changed your diet? Many people with ulcers have to have to follow certain dietary guidelines.

Sometimes the ulcer can get so advanced it requires surgery. So I really hope you get back to your doctor. You asked about a cure. A cure comes from a lifestyle change for some people. Talk to your doctor. Explain what all is going on with you. Try and identify what triggers your ulcer - is there more stress at times and that causes the flare up?

You can read different articles about ulcers and life threatening situations but I do not post this to scare you as much as I want to impress on you that this is serious for you and you need medical attention. Ulcers do not just go away.
    ulcers+life threatening - Google Search
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Sep 3, 2007, 07:20 PM
    Depends on the cause and the extent.

If gastric cancer is the cause, and I'm not saying your's is, then it could be life threatening.

If you vomit and or losee enough blood to cause low blood pressure / shock, that is life threatening regardless of cause.

Here's a reference :

MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia: Peptic ulcer
    - no alcohol
    - no tobacco
    - avoid non steroidal anti- inflamatories [ motrin, ibuprofen, naproxen, alleve for example ]

Vomiting blood is very concerning because it may not be from your stomach. It might be from your esophagus.

I would suggest a EGD - espopho-gastro-duodenoscopy, to look for the cause.

Grace and Peace

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I did not sign a lease - threatening legal action. [ 2 Answers ]

In November 2006 I moved in with two friends who needed a roommate quickly, I never signed a lease. In May I was informed that one of the girlfriends of one of the house-mates would be moving in so I would have to move out in August. Due to summer vacation plans, that moving date did not suit me,...

My landlord keeps on threatening me with a moveout notice [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a small complex in Austin, TX a few blocks north of UT campus. My landlord is VERY adamant about maintaining a "very quiet" complex that never has any problems with noise. Within this complex we have a whole bunch of people--college students and young professionals--that enjoy hanging...

Burst Lips and Mouth Ulcers! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I play Gaelic football and get burst lips fairly regularly. Every time I do I get a mouth ulcer in the spot where the cut is and it drives me crazy! It takes up to a week to clear and is pretty painful/annoying. Ive been experiencing this for as long as I can remember. I'm 19, healthy and eat...

How do I evict 18 year old stepdaughter threatening me [ 6 Answers ]

My stepdaughter is 18 years old, within the last month we have caught her tearing out her bedroom screen to sneak out in the middle of the night, found empty beer cans in our truck that we had let her use, apparently smoking cigs and or pot in the truck because we found a lighter sitting on top of...

Natural Treatment for Stomach Ulcers [ 6 Answers ]

I was wondering what someone could suggest using as a natural treatment for stomach ulcers and possibly acid reflux. I have heard lickerish root is good but don't know for sure. Any help would be appreciated.

View more questions Search