Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    whcassing Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2007, 07:09 PM
    California Rental Law, Pet Deposit
    When we moved into our current residenty, we paid the landlord a $500 pet deposit. Since we moved in, we have had two pets (one at a time). Between the death of the first pet and the acquisition of the second, we did not request a refund (knowing that we would get another pet). We recently had to have our second pet euthanized. We have made it clear that have no intention to get another pet.

The landlord has inspected our apartment and found no damage, least of all any caused by our pet, but he says he is not obligated to return the pet deposit until we move. He has returned $150 of the $500 "because we are good tenants."

How soon can we get the remaining $350? Must he pay interest? Please site the applicable California law.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 16, 2007, 07:38 PM
    What does your lease say?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2007, 04:53 AM
    Hello wh:

Yes, you made it clear to him... However, unless he's watching you could certainly bring another pet home.

Look, I think he's being unreasonable by giving you just $150 of your deposit and I think you're being unreasonable asking for it all BEFORE you move out.

Landlord tenant law does not cover any and every possible incident that could happen between the parties. Therefore, I really don't know who would win if you went to small claims court over it. Consequently, since that is your only avenue of appeal, I wouldn't take it unless I knew that I was going to win.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pet deposit [ 9 Answers ]

My family and I are entending to rent a house in California and the owner wants a $1000.00 pet deposit. Is that the right dollar amount for a pet deposit? It seems kind of high to us. What is the law regarding a pet deposit in California? Thanks lilbitof3

Amount of Pet Deposit in California & is it refundable? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a landlord & I want to know the pet deposit amount for a chiuaua & a labrador & are they refundable in California

Pet deposit/fee [ 1 Answers ]

As a landlord in New Hamphire how much am I able to ask for a pet security deposit/fee? I know I can ask up to as much as the rent for a security deposit but how much for a Pet fee/deposit?

View more questions Search