Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twomuttsmom Posts: 7, Reputation: 3

Jun 21, 2007, 11:45 PM
    Real Estate - quit claim deed
    Hi there!

I was given a quit claim deed on my grandfather's house several years ago. It was filed at the court house. Recently, I attempted to take out an equity loan to build a garage. The lender said that the house belonged to my parents. I went to the court house to see where the problem was and they said that I had filed a copy of the deed and not the original deed. (Why didn't someone tell me this then?)

I have since tried to get the original deed from my parents and they refuse to give it to me, saying that I do not need to take out a loan on the home and make myself a bill.

Is this house still theirs? Should I get an attorney? How could an attorney help me or can I take another route and do this myself?

Thank you,

twomuttsmom
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 22, 2007, 09:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twomuttsmom
    Is this house still theirs? Should I get an attorney? How could an attorney help me or can I take another route and do this myself?
    Hello mom:

Well, that's the question, isn't it? From your post, it isn't clear to me. But, it isn't clear to you or your parents either, so MY confusion is understandable.

Seems to me, you have two options, one of which you apparently already took, and that would be good faith negotiations. However, when those break down, there's only one alternative left, and that's to FORCE the issue. That's going to take an attorney - and it's not going to be pleasant.

Given the above, I would give the good faith stuff one more shot. This time, lay your cards on the table with your parents. Tell them that, while you appreciate their parental advice, YOU own the home and that YOU are going to dispose of it as you see fit. If they don't cooperate, then you are going to hire an attorney to force them into compliance.

That may not be a pleasant conversation to have either, but it's a last ditch effort before you sue them.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quit Claim Deed [ 1 Answers ]

Facts: My dad recently passed away. A few months before this he took out a line of credit on his and my mother's house (with my mother's knowledge). With this money he purchased a house in Michigan and proceeded to quit claim deed it to one of his children. My mother is now having to try and pay...

Quit Claim Deed [ 5 Answers ]

I quit claim deed on my house couple years ago. I still live there but I want my house back. My family members have not paid the taxes like they should and I have been paying them. I heard that since I have been paying the taxes then I should be able to get my house back with no problem and them...

Quit claim deed [ 3 Answers ]

My friends ex wife ,one month before his divorce was final flew to his mothers who is 85 and Without her knowledge to what she was doing had her put as the 2nd party of her own house on a new quit claim deed and had her son her husband for that one month before the divorce was final , put him as...

Quit Claim Deed [ 2 Answers ]

I am in a bind. In 2004 purchased a house (with money for a down payment from my ex-boyfriend as a gift). We have never lived in the property together; he is a real estate investor. Our original idea was to flip this house that he originally purchased in foreclosure. After three months without a...

Corrective Deed, New Quit Claim Deed, or See an Attorney? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a major problem with a quit claim deed that was done regarding my father's property. The intention was to put me in the deed but as an heir to the property, not as a co-owner or anything like that. So, a quit claim deed was filled out and recorded at the clerk of the circuit court. However,...

View more questions Search